Jan 2, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Brandon Bass has been one of the stronger parts of the Orlando offense this season. Having a legit power forward next to Dwight Howard and someone who could score in the low-post and shallow mid-range fit in really well with the Magic. Now it’s possible that he could be out for several months as he contemplates arthroscopic knee surgery. From the Orlando Sentinel:
After practice on Sunday, Magic power forward Brandon Bass told the Sentinel that he might need arthroscopic surgery if his left knee doesn’t improve.
“I might need to get it scoped, be out a few weeks,” Bass said. “I don’t know. We’ll see.”
Bass said he came down on his left in the second quarter of the game against the New York Knicks onThursday night and “heard a pop.”
Bass said his knee has been sore and has had some swelling since then.
He has missed the last two practices, sitting out Friday and Sunday.
The post goes on to discuss testing and possible timelines for Bass. Losing Bass would have two significant impacts. One, the Magic would have to step up efforts to replace Marcin Gortat and add some depth immediately. That probably means losing some talent on the wings. Two, it means a move back to the offensive push the Magic have relied on the past few seasons, more perimeter based, without anyone besides Howard able to post. Well, besides Hedo Turkoglu… ha ha ha.
Bass thinks it would only be a few weeks, but surgery is surgery, and sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it takes less time. With Orlando really clicking since the trade, this would be a significant hit to the Magic.
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 0
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 6
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 11
- Report: Clippers pull out of talks with Celtics 30
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'