Jan 2, 2011, 4:00 PM EST
Brandon Bass has been one of the stronger parts of the Orlando offense this season. Having a legit power forward next to Dwight Howard and someone who could score in the low-post and shallow mid-range fit in really well with the Magic. Now it’s possible that he could be out for several months as he contemplates arthroscopic knee surgery. From the Orlando Sentinel:
After practice on Sunday, Magic power forward Brandon Bass told the Sentinel that he might need arthroscopic surgery if his left knee doesn’t improve.
“I might need to get it scoped, be out a few weeks,” Bass said. “I don’t know. We’ll see.”
Bass said he came down on his left in the second quarter of the game against the New York Knicks onThursday night and “heard a pop.”
Bass said his knee has been sore and has had some swelling since then.
He has missed the last two practices, sitting out Friday and Sunday.
The post goes on to discuss testing and possible timelines for Bass. Losing Bass would have two significant impacts. One, the Magic would have to step up efforts to replace Marcin Gortat and add some depth immediately. That probably means losing some talent on the wings. Two, it means a move back to the offensive push the Magic have relied on the past few seasons, more perimeter based, without anyone besides Howard able to post. Well, besides Hedo Turkoglu… ha ha ha.
Bass thinks it would only be a few weeks, but surgery is surgery, and sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it takes less time. With Orlando really clicking since the trade, this would be a significant hit to the Magic.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)