Jan 2, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Brandon Bass has been one of the stronger parts of the Orlando offense this season. Having a legit power forward next to Dwight Howard and someone who could score in the low-post and shallow mid-range fit in really well with the Magic. Now it’s possible that he could be out for several months as he contemplates arthroscopic knee surgery. From the Orlando Sentinel:
After practice on Sunday, Magic power forward Brandon Bass told the Sentinel that he might need arthroscopic surgery if his left knee doesn’t improve.
“I might need to get it scoped, be out a few weeks,” Bass said. “I don’t know. We’ll see.”
Bass said he came down on his left in the second quarter of the game against the New York Knicks onThursday night and “heard a pop.”
Bass said his knee has been sore and has had some swelling since then.
He has missed the last two practices, sitting out Friday and Sunday.
The post goes on to discuss testing and possible timelines for Bass. Losing Bass would have two significant impacts. One, the Magic would have to step up efforts to replace Marcin Gortat and add some depth immediately. That probably means losing some talent on the wings. Two, it means a move back to the offensive push the Magic have relied on the past few seasons, more perimeter based, without anyone besides Howard able to post. Well, besides Hedo Turkoglu… ha ha ha.
Bass thinks it would only be a few weeks, but surgery is surgery, and sometimes it takes longer, sometimes it takes less time. With Orlando really clicking since the trade, this would be a significant hit to the Magic.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28