Jan 1, 2011, 6:09 PM EST
The NBA today fined Paul Pierce $15,000 for throwing his headband (UPDATE: possibly gum -insert dramatic music) into the stands during the first quarter of the Celtics’ win over the Pacers last Tuesday.
Think about that for a second. Think about every time you’ve carelessly tossed an object. Now imagine that when you did so, someone fined you $15,000. The cost of your average semester of college at a public university. For throwing a headband.
This is an absurd world in which we operate.
In other news, the league fined Stan Van Gundy $35,000 for his comments regarding Dwight Howard and the way officials are “targeting” him. So Stan Van Gundy used his vocal chords, and now has to pay the NBA the cost of a luxury motor vehicle.
How is the NBA losing money, again?
Pierce has not had a great week. He struggled in the fourth quarter of the Christmas Day game. He tossed his headband and was subsequently fined for it on Tuesday. He fumbled his dribble attempting the game-tying shot against the Hornets at home Friday afternoon. Two failed clutch performances and a $15,000 speeding ticket. Happy New Year, Paul!
For Van Gundy, he knew this was coming. In his own way, Van Gundy probably feels this is the price of doing business, that he’ll be able to influence the officials the same way Phil Jackson does. Unfortunately, Jackson occupies a very specific and limited range in the cultural landscape of the league, and while he’s fined just the same, his words carry more weight. Probably because he’s won 11 championships and doesn’t scream all the time.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28