Jan 1, 2011, 6:09 PM EST
The NBA today fined Paul Pierce $15,000 for throwing his headband (UPDATE: possibly gum -insert dramatic music) into the stands during the first quarter of the Celtics’ win over the Pacers last Tuesday.
Think about that for a second. Think about every time you’ve carelessly tossed an object. Now imagine that when you did so, someone fined you $15,000. The cost of your average semester of college at a public university. For throwing a headband.
This is an absurd world in which we operate.
In other news, the league fined Stan Van Gundy $35,000 for his comments regarding Dwight Howard and the way officials are “targeting” him. So Stan Van Gundy used his vocal chords, and now has to pay the NBA the cost of a luxury motor vehicle.
How is the NBA losing money, again?
Pierce has not had a great week. He struggled in the fourth quarter of the Christmas Day game. He tossed his headband and was subsequently fined for it on Tuesday. He fumbled his dribble attempting the game-tying shot against the Hornets at home Friday afternoon. Two failed clutch performances and a $15,000 speeding ticket. Happy New Year, Paul!
For Van Gundy, he knew this was coming. In his own way, Van Gundy probably feels this is the price of doing business, that he’ll be able to influence the officials the same way Phil Jackson does. Unfortunately, Jackson occupies a very specific and limited range in the cultural landscape of the league, and while he’s fined just the same, his words carry more weight. Probably because he’s won 11 championships and doesn’t scream all the time.
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 0
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 44
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 17
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 30
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 8