Dec 31, 2010, 12:33 PM EDT
Right next to Paul Silas’ name as the head coach in Charlotte is the word “interim.” And so long as that is there the speculation on who gets the job full time will take place.
Clearly, Silas gets first crack. Turn the ship around enough this season and he gets to stay on as captain. The Bobcats re 2-0 under him but that is the ultimate small sample size so we’ll reserve judgment.
If not Silas, then who? How about Patrick Ewing, who is in the mix according to the New York Post.
Asked if Charlotte had called him, Ewing smiled and said, “They might have.”
When pressed, Ewing said, “He might have been. I talk to Michael all the time. There definitely was a phone call. It depends on what we talked about.”
If nothing else, Ewing has learned how to avoid a question like a head coach.
He has served for years as an assistant with the Magic. If the Bobcats do not go with Silas, Ewing needs to be considered. Same with the other openings sure to come up around the league. Outside of being the tallest head coach in the league it’s hard to predict just how good he will be, but he has earned the chance to find out.
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 1
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 21
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18