Dec 31, 2010, 12:33 PM EDT
Right next to Paul Silas’ name as the head coach in Charlotte is the word “interim.” And so long as that is there the speculation on who gets the job full time will take place.
Clearly, Silas gets first crack. Turn the ship around enough this season and he gets to stay on as captain. The Bobcats re 2-0 under him but that is the ultimate small sample size so we’ll reserve judgment.
If not Silas, then who? How about Patrick Ewing, who is in the mix according to the New York Post.
Asked if Charlotte had called him, Ewing smiled and said, “They might have.”
When pressed, Ewing said, “He might have been. I talk to Michael all the time. There definitely was a phone call. It depends on what we talked about.”
If nothing else, Ewing has learned how to avoid a question like a head coach.
He has served for years as an assistant with the Magic. If the Bobcats do not go with Silas, Ewing needs to be considered. Same with the other openings sure to come up around the league. Outside of being the tallest head coach in the league it’s hard to predict just how good he will be, but he has earned the chance to find out.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 26
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 3
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 6
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9