Dec 31, 2010, 12:33 PM EDT
Right next to Paul Silas’ name as the head coach in Charlotte is the word “interim.” And so long as that is there the speculation on who gets the job full time will take place.
Clearly, Silas gets first crack. Turn the ship around enough this season and he gets to stay on as captain. The Bobcats re 2-0 under him but that is the ultimate small sample size so we’ll reserve judgment.
If not Silas, then who? How about Patrick Ewing, who is in the mix according to the New York Post.
Asked if Charlotte had called him, Ewing smiled and said, “They might have.”
When pressed, Ewing said, “He might have been. I talk to Michael all the time. There definitely was a phone call. It depends on what we talked about.”
If nothing else, Ewing has learned how to avoid a question like a head coach.
He has served for years as an assistant with the Magic. If the Bobcats do not go with Silas, Ewing needs to be considered. Same with the other openings sure to come up around the league. Outside of being the tallest head coach in the league it’s hard to predict just how good he will be, but he has earned the chance to find out.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 4
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 18
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14