Dec 31, 2010, 12:33 PM EDT
Right next to Paul Silas’ name as the head coach in Charlotte is the word “interim.” And so long as that is there the speculation on who gets the job full time will take place.
Clearly, Silas gets first crack. Turn the ship around enough this season and he gets to stay on as captain. The Bobcats re 2-0 under him but that is the ultimate small sample size so we’ll reserve judgment.
If not Silas, then who? How about Patrick Ewing, who is in the mix according to the New York Post.
Asked if Charlotte had called him, Ewing smiled and said, “They might have.”
When pressed, Ewing said, “He might have been. I talk to Michael all the time. There definitely was a phone call. It depends on what we talked about.”
If nothing else, Ewing has learned how to avoid a question like a head coach.
He has served for years as an assistant with the Magic. If the Bobcats do not go with Silas, Ewing needs to be considered. Same with the other openings sure to come up around the league. Outside of being the tallest head coach in the league it’s hard to predict just how good he will be, but he has earned the chance to find out.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85