Dec 31, 2010, 10:04 AM EDT
At his very first press conference as owner, Michael Jordan was asked about changing the name Bobcats. There are some in Charlotte who despise that name — former owner Bob Johnson picked it and the feeling is he was naming the team after himself.
Jordan said he was open to the idea, but that it would be a process that started with research.
Well, that research is in and the name Bobcats will stay, Bobcats marketing guru Pete Guelli told the Charlotte Observer. The research showed “no groundswell” for a name change, he said.
Ever since George Shinn — owner of the Charlotte Hornets back in the day — poisoned the well in Charlotte with a tawdry sexual harassment trial and a series of other missteps, the NBA has been a hard sell in what was once a hotbed of the league. The only way to change that is winning (which creates its own problems because you have to spend to win in today league and the Bobcats do not have the revenue the Knicks, Celtics and others do). Steady ownership and wins, that’s what matter.
Do that and the name will be irrelevant.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 0
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 10
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights