Dec 31, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks’ offense has been a bit of a mixed bag during Dirk Nowitzki‘s absence from the lineup, and it looks as though they’ll continue to roll the dice through their next two games. According to Tim MacMahon of ESPN Dallas, Nowitzki doesn’t seem sold on the prospect of returning during either of the team’s games this weekend, and may wait until next week before taking to the court again:
“It’s already better than it was two days ago, but it wasn’t good enough to play today,” Nowitzki said during the TNT broadcast of Thursday night’s loss to the San Antonio Spurs. “I would have loved to have been out here in front of this crowd, but unfortunately it didn’t work. Maybe this weekend, maybe early next week, that’s what I’m looking at.”
The Mavericks (24-7) have lost both games without their MVP candidate, falling 3½ games behind the Spurs in the Western Conference standings. However, the Mavericks won’t put Nowitzki at risk by rushing him back before he’s ready. They will err on the side of patience and caution.
Dallas’ offense isn’t sturdy enough to survive too long without Nowitzki, particularly with Jason Terry back in a shooting slump. Terry is averaging 32.7% shooting from the field over the last three games, including a 3-of-16 stinker last night against the Spurs. Caron Butler did his best to hedge Terry’s poor play with 30 points on just 21 shots, but Butler isn’t an offensive centerpiece, and can’t keep up that kind of efficiency for long. The Mavs will need Terry to bounce back, their defense to hold true, and for Nowitzki to rest as much as possible. The team isn’t in immediate danger of plummeting in the standings, but with plenty to prove before the end of the season (particularly on the offensive end, and even with a fully-functional Nowitzki), they need every game together they can get.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 68
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32