Dec 30, 2010, 3:22 PM EST
Brandon Roy will not suit up Thursday night for the Trail Blazers. The team is expected to release more information on him sometime on Thursday.
That’s all we know officially. But the rumors are swirling.
Roy is considering shutting it down for the rest of the season, one of several options on the table right now, according to Ken Berger of CBS Sports. Other choices including continuing to play or taking a specified amount of time off — maybe a month or more — then returning to the team.
“It would not surprise me to see him try to play again,” one of the sources familiar with the team’s strategy said. “It would not surprise me to see him set a date when he wants to try to play. And it would not surprise me if he doesn’t play again this season. … At this point, anything is a possibility. The doctors and Brandon are ultimately going to make that decision.”
Roy’s knee problem is chronic — both knees are basically bone-on-bone. Because of that there is no real surgical option. He has missed the last six Blazers games and been in-and-out of the lineup all season. Rest will help reduce the pain and swelling, but a return to play will almost certainly lead to the problem flaring up again at some point. It has been frustrating for Roy because this is something beyond his control.
Right now the Trail Blazers are the eighth seed in the West, half a game ahead of Houston. Roy is a true competitor who has come back early from injury and surgery before to try and help the team, if the team is in playoff contention it is hard to picture him sitting on the sidelines.
But is that worth it for the eighth seed? Is taking the rest of the season off in hopes of being right for next season the better option?
The Blazers and Roy have a lot of things to consider and a lot of options to choose from. It’s hard to say what will be the right one.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 6
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 0
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 18
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 14
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)