Dec 30, 2010, 8:44 AM EDT
Marcin Gortat wanted more minutes, for years having had to get by on the scraps Dwight Howard left behind in Orlando. But be careful what you wish for.
Gortat was traded from the third best defensive team in the NBA (Orlando) to the worst defensive team in the NBA (Phoenix, based on points allowed per possession). And he told Brett Pollakoff of FanHouse he is not happy about whatever it is that the Suns do on that end of the floor.
“It’s just a little bit frustrating when you come in the locker room and people are talking about the offense,” Gortat began. “That’s not the way you’re going to win NBA games. I don’t know if it’s just me, or maybe I’m just different, but I came from a team where everybody’s competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We’re just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We’re not playing hard enough and I’ve just got to tell you, there’s a lot, a lot of work in front of us. The positive thing is? It can’t be worse….”
“I just think we have to be at the gym every day for three hours,” Gortat continued. “Learn the rotations, learn everything from the beginning. I mean, there are so many things we’re doing bad, I just can’t find an explanation. I’m trying to get some rebounds and stops, but unfortunately there’s not too many opportunities for me to rebound because the team is scoring 120-something points.
“It’s just frustrating; frustrating as hell. I’m not going to lie.”
- Three coaches who could replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 1
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 13
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 43