Dec 30, 2010, 8:44 AM EDT
Marcin Gortat wanted more minutes, for years having had to get by on the scraps Dwight Howard left behind in Orlando. But be careful what you wish for.
Gortat was traded from the third best defensive team in the NBA (Orlando) to the worst defensive team in the NBA (Phoenix, based on points allowed per possession). And he told Brett Pollakoff of FanHouse he is not happy about whatever it is that the Suns do on that end of the floor.
“It’s just a little bit frustrating when you come in the locker room and people are talking about the offense,” Gortat began. “That’s not the way you’re going to win NBA games. I don’t know if it’s just me, or maybe I’m just different, but I came from a team where everybody’s competing and trying to do the stuff that coach is saying. We’re just totally changing our rotations, changing our stuff that we set before the game. We’re not playing hard enough and I’ve just got to tell you, there’s a lot, a lot of work in front of us. The positive thing is? It can’t be worse….”
“I just think we have to be at the gym every day for three hours,” Gortat continued. “Learn the rotations, learn everything from the beginning. I mean, there are so many things we’re doing bad, I just can’t find an explanation. I’m trying to get some rebounds and stops, but unfortunately there’s not too many opportunities for me to rebound because the team is scoring 120-something points.
“It’s just frustrating; frustrating as hell. I’m not going to lie.”
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 1
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 6
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 13
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43