Dec 30, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Interesting note out of the must-read weekly column at Hoops World from friend-of-this-site coach Anthony Macri:
Right now, Houston’s Kevin Martin is nearly on pace to lead the league in both three pointers made and free throws made. No other player in the history of the NBA has done those two things in one season. Not Larry Bird. Not Reggie Miller. Nobody.
Martin has always drawn a lot of contact and this season has made 239 free throws so far, two ahead of Kevin Durant to lead the league. He is currently fourth in three pointers made with 71, five behind league leader Dorell Wright of Golden State.
Those are two different skills and usually shooting guards excel at one or the other. They are pure shooters who can knock down anything but are less effective driving to create a shot and draw contact; or they are slashers whose outside shooting is spotty.
Martin is doing both as well or better than anyone in the NBA right now. If he pulls it off it would be an interesting bit of history.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31