Dec 30, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Interesting note out of the must-read weekly column at Hoops World from friend-of-this-site coach Anthony Macri:
Right now, Houston’s Kevin Martin is nearly on pace to lead the league in both three pointers made and free throws made. No other player in the history of the NBA has done those two things in one season. Not Larry Bird. Not Reggie Miller. Nobody.
Martin has always drawn a lot of contact and this season has made 239 free throws so far, two ahead of Kevin Durant to lead the league. He is currently fourth in three pointers made with 71, five behind league leader Dorell Wright of Golden State.
Those are two different skills and usually shooting guards excel at one or the other. They are pure shooters who can knock down anything but are less effective driving to create a shot and draw contact; or they are slashers whose outside shooting is spotty.
Martin is doing both as well or better than anyone in the NBA right now. If he pulls it off it would be an interesting bit of history.
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 5
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 35
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22