Dec 30, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Interesting note out of the must-read weekly column at Hoops World from friend-of-this-site coach Anthony Macri:
Right now, Houston’s Kevin Martin is nearly on pace to lead the league in both three pointers made and free throws made. No other player in the history of the NBA has done those two things in one season. Not Larry Bird. Not Reggie Miller. Nobody.
Martin has always drawn a lot of contact and this season has made 239 free throws so far, two ahead of Kevin Durant to lead the league. He is currently fourth in three pointers made with 71, five behind league leader Dorell Wright of Golden State.
Those are two different skills and usually shooting guards excel at one or the other. They are pure shooters who can knock down anything but are less effective driving to create a shot and draw contact; or they are slashers whose outside shooting is spotty.
Martin is doing both as well or better than anyone in the NBA right now. If he pulls it off it would be an interesting bit of history.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36