Dec 30, 2010, 4:18 PM EDT
Interesting note out of the must-read weekly column at Hoops World from friend-of-this-site coach Anthony Macri:
Right now, Houston’s Kevin Martin is nearly on pace to lead the league in both three pointers made and free throws made. No other player in the history of the NBA has done those two things in one season. Not Larry Bird. Not Reggie Miller. Nobody.
Martin has always drawn a lot of contact and this season has made 239 free throws so far, two ahead of Kevin Durant to lead the league. He is currently fourth in three pointers made with 71, five behind league leader Dorell Wright of Golden State.
Those are two different skills and usually shooting guards excel at one or the other. They are pure shooters who can knock down anything but are less effective driving to create a shot and draw contact; or they are slashers whose outside shooting is spotty.
Martin is doing both as well or better than anyone in the NBA right now. If he pulls it off it would be an interesting bit of history.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61