Dec 30, 2010, 5:56 PM EST
UPDATE 5:56 pm: Via the Celtics Web site, here are the quotes from Danny Ainge on the injury.
“Kevin had an MRI and a thorough examination (on Thursday) and it’s the same as last night,” said Ainge. “It’s just a muscle – I say just – but it’s a muscle injury, a strained calf. It’s actually the muscle just off the side of the leg, just below the knee, and it’s not anything to do with his knee, which is great news….”
“It’s one of those injuries that, you know, he may be out for a couple of weeks, at the most, I would say,” Ainge remarked.
“That’s my guess. You know it’s always a guess when you’re trying to see when guys come back, but I’ll just say two weeks, and I think that’s on a very conservative side.”
4:31 pm: For something that looked so bad when it happened this is about the best possible news.
Kevin Garnett has a calf strain and will miss just “a couple of weeks” Celtics GM Danny Ainge told WEEI of Boston (via Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe). The MRI results came back negative, according to the team, which confirmed the timeline.
Doc Rivers said that Glen “Big Baby” Davis would get the start in KG’s absence.
In the second quarter Wednesday against the Pistons, Garnett took a feed from Ray Allen and went up for a dunk and as he took off something seemed wrong. Garnett hung on the rim, then hobbled up court with a clearly sore right leg. He committed a foul to stop play then left the game for the remainder of the night.
It all brought back memories of the 2009 injury that robbed Garnett of the end of his season and the playoffs. Fortunately, it turned out to be far less serious.
Expect the Celtics to be cautious and take extra time bringing Garnett back, as they have done with Rajon Rondo, Jermaine O’Neal and others this season. While Boston has kept winning, their real focus has been on having a healthy and rested team come the playoffs, and they are willing to sacrifice regular season games to get that.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)