Dec 30, 2010, 5:56 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:56 pm: Via the Celtics Web site, here are the quotes from Danny Ainge on the injury.
“Kevin had an MRI and a thorough examination (on Thursday) and it’s the same as last night,” said Ainge. “It’s just a muscle – I say just – but it’s a muscle injury, a strained calf. It’s actually the muscle just off the side of the leg, just below the knee, and it’s not anything to do with his knee, which is great news….”
“It’s one of those injuries that, you know, he may be out for a couple of weeks, at the most, I would say,” Ainge remarked.
“That’s my guess. You know it’s always a guess when you’re trying to see when guys come back, but I’ll just say two weeks, and I think that’s on a very conservative side.”
4:31 pm: For something that looked so bad when it happened this is about the best possible news.
Kevin Garnett has a calf strain and will miss just “a couple of weeks” Celtics GM Danny Ainge told WEEI of Boston (via Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe). The MRI results came back negative, according to the team, which confirmed the timeline.
Doc Rivers said that Glen “Big Baby” Davis would get the start in KG’s absence.
In the second quarter Wednesday against the Pistons, Garnett took a feed from Ray Allen and went up for a dunk and as he took off something seemed wrong. Garnett hung on the rim, then hobbled up court with a clearly sore right leg. He committed a foul to stop play then left the game for the remainder of the night.
It all brought back memories of the 2009 injury that robbed Garnett of the end of his season and the playoffs. Fortunately, it turned out to be far less serious.
Expect the Celtics to be cautious and take extra time bringing Garnett back, as they have done with Rajon Rondo, Jermaine O’Neal and others this season. While Boston has kept winning, their real focus has been on having a healthy and rested team come the playoffs, and they are willing to sacrifice regular season games to get that.
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 10
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 42
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20
- Cavaliers trade Keith Bogans and a second round pick to Sixers 8