Dec 30, 2010, 5:56 PM EDT
UPDATE 5:56 pm: Via the Celtics Web site, here are the quotes from Danny Ainge on the injury.
“Kevin had an MRI and a thorough examination (on Thursday) and it’s the same as last night,” said Ainge. “It’s just a muscle – I say just – but it’s a muscle injury, a strained calf. It’s actually the muscle just off the side of the leg, just below the knee, and it’s not anything to do with his knee, which is great news….”
“It’s one of those injuries that, you know, he may be out for a couple of weeks, at the most, I would say,” Ainge remarked.
“That’s my guess. You know it’s always a guess when you’re trying to see when guys come back, but I’ll just say two weeks, and I think that’s on a very conservative side.”
4:31 pm: For something that looked so bad when it happened this is about the best possible news.
Kevin Garnett has a calf strain and will miss just “a couple of weeks” Celtics GM Danny Ainge told WEEI of Boston (via Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe). The MRI results came back negative, according to the team, which confirmed the timeline.
Doc Rivers said that Glen “Big Baby” Davis would get the start in KG’s absence.
In the second quarter Wednesday against the Pistons, Garnett took a feed from Ray Allen and went up for a dunk and as he took off something seemed wrong. Garnett hung on the rim, then hobbled up court with a clearly sore right leg. He committed a foul to stop play then left the game for the remainder of the night.
It all brought back memories of the 2009 injury that robbed Garnett of the end of his season and the playoffs. Fortunately, it turned out to be far less serious.
Expect the Celtics to be cautious and take extra time bringing Garnett back, as they have done with Rajon Rondo, Jermaine O’Neal and others this season. While Boston has kept winning, their real focus has been on having a healthy and rested team come the playoffs, and they are willing to sacrifice regular season games to get that.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18