Dec 30, 2010, 9:19 AM EDT
Imagine the surprise: Lakers beat writer Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register files his stories from the Lakers loss to the San Antonio Spurs Tuesday and heads back to his hotel room, flips on ESPN News — and hears his lead from a Dec. 26 game preview being used by anchor Will Selva to lead into the Lakers/Spurs highlights. This was on ESPN News’ “Highlight Express” show so that clip ran over and over all night long.
Not with credit, just flat out stealing the lines. Ding wrote about it, and Mediaite has the video and Ding’s words side-by-side. It really leaves no doubt. Several other sites such as Sports by Brooks reported it as well.
Wednesday Selva did call to apologize to Ding personally. FanHouse has since reported that Selva has been suspended by ESPN. Also, ESPN released a statement with comments from Selva (via the OC Register):
“I made a horrible mistake and I’m deeply sorry. I did not live up to my high standards or ESPN’s. As I often do, I research local stories to use as background for writing my script. In this case, I cut and pasted the story with every intention of writing my own. I simply forgot and I completely understand why this is a major problem. I sincerely apologize for my sloppiness, especially to Kevin Ding, viewers and colleagues. In my 15 years in broadcast journalism, nothing like this has ever happened and I will make every effort to ensure it won’t happen again.”
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 19
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 3
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 18
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 10
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 19
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16