Dec 30, 2010, 9:19 AM EST
Imagine the surprise: Lakers beat writer Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register files his stories from the Lakers loss to the San Antonio Spurs Tuesday and heads back to his hotel room, flips on ESPN News — and hears his lead from a Dec. 26 game preview being used by anchor Will Selva to lead into the Lakers/Spurs highlights. This was on ESPN News’ “Highlight Express” show so that clip ran over and over all night long.
Not with credit, just flat out stealing the lines. Ding wrote about it, and Mediaite has the video and Ding’s words side-by-side. It really leaves no doubt. Several other sites such as Sports by Brooks reported it as well.
Wednesday Selva did call to apologize to Ding personally. FanHouse has since reported that Selva has been suspended by ESPN. Also, ESPN released a statement with comments from Selva (via the OC Register):
“I made a horrible mistake and I’m deeply sorry. I did not live up to my high standards or ESPN’s. As I often do, I research local stories to use as background for writing my script. In this case, I cut and pasted the story with every intention of writing my own. I simply forgot and I completely understand why this is a major problem. I sincerely apologize for my sloppiness, especially to Kevin Ding, viewers and colleagues. In my 15 years in broadcast journalism, nothing like this has ever happened and I will make every effort to ensure it won’t happen again.”
- Gregg Popovich to miss game following ‘minor medical procedure’ 0
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 7
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 9
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 20
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15