Dec 29, 2010, 3:48 PM EST
The latest rumor is that the Minnesota Timberwolves are going to push to get Mayo, according to Ken Berger of CBS Sports.com. The Wolves actually drafted Mayo but moved him in a draft-night trade that brought Kevin Love to Minnesota.
The Wolves envision Mayo playing in the backcourt next season alongside (Ricky) Rubio, who according to a person familiar with the situation has given team officials his word that he will join the Wolves next season. The buyout that Minnesota must pay FC Barcelona is down to $1 million, but it’s not clear how Rubio’s decision could be affected by a lockout. Even if Rubio comes to Minnesota, there’s no guarantee he’ll thrive immediately.
Sources say the Wolves also are targeting Anthony Randolph, who is languishing on the Knicks’ bench after being acquired from Golden State as part of the sign-and-trade arrangement that landed David Lee in the Bay Area.
Rubio is not likely to come to the NBA next season. The lockout is part of it (Rubio would have to opt out of his Barcelona contract in the summer, when things with a new CBA very likely still will be unresolved). Another issue is that while the buyout is “only” $1 million the Wolves can only pay half of that, the rest has to come from Rubio. Finally, if Rubio waits until 2012 to come to the NBA he will be three years removed from the draft and no longer have to play under a pure rookie scale contract. So, 2012 is more likely. Much more likely.
Still, if the Wolves could acquire Mayo and take a flyer on Randolph, those would both be good moves. But pardon us if we’re not convinced it would be that simple.
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 7
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 8
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 24
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)