Dec 29, 2010, 3:48 PM EST
The latest rumor is that the Minnesota Timberwolves are going to push to get Mayo, according to Ken Berger of CBS Sports.com. The Wolves actually drafted Mayo but moved him in a draft-night trade that brought Kevin Love to Minnesota.
The Wolves envision Mayo playing in the backcourt next season alongside (Ricky) Rubio, who according to a person familiar with the situation has given team officials his word that he will join the Wolves next season. The buyout that Minnesota must pay FC Barcelona is down to $1 million, but it’s not clear how Rubio’s decision could be affected by a lockout. Even if Rubio comes to Minnesota, there’s no guarantee he’ll thrive immediately.
Sources say the Wolves also are targeting Anthony Randolph, who is languishing on the Knicks’ bench after being acquired from Golden State as part of the sign-and-trade arrangement that landed David Lee in the Bay Area.
Rubio is not likely to come to the NBA next season. The lockout is part of it (Rubio would have to opt out of his Barcelona contract in the summer, when things with a new CBA very likely still will be unresolved). Another issue is that while the buyout is “only” $1 million the Wolves can only pay half of that, the rest has to come from Rubio. Finally, if Rubio waits until 2012 to come to the NBA he will be three years removed from the draft and no longer have to play under a pure rookie scale contract. So, 2012 is more likely. Much more likely.
Still, if the Wolves could acquire Mayo and take a flyer on Randolph, those would both be good moves. But pardon us if we’re not convinced it would be that simple.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 5
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 5
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9