Dec 29, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Larry Brown is hard on young point guards, to the point they play tentative and scared. They are afraid to shoot, even when open. One mistake and they are in the coach’s doghouse — or he is in their ear — so they play trying not to make mistakes. Which never works.
That was D.J. Augustin.
New Bobcats coach Paul Silas has set Augustin free — just go play the game. Push the tempo, take shots when you have them and just have fun again. Which is what happened Monday against Detroit when Augustin dropped 27, Gerald Wallace told the Charlotte Observer.
“He was free,” said forward Gerald Wallace, who watched from the bench with an ankle injury. “He looked like a little kid at the park, just out there playing ball. When he’s aggressive, when he’s looking for his shot, it makes things a whole lot easier for all of us.”
Augustin was diplomatic but you could tell what he was thinking.
“Different coaches have different philosophies,” Augustin said. “We just tried to run the offense before. Now we run an offense and at the same time we’re free to shoot open shots. It’s OK to miss and to make shots.
“I felt really loose (Monday) night.”
The game was fun again for Charlotte against Detroit; we’ll see how it is Wednesday against Cleveland and Friday against Golden State. Those are both winnable games for the Bobcats if they play the way they did Monday.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 30
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 85
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13