Dec 28, 2010, 2:29 AM EDT
Tyreke Evans has been battling plantar fasciitis in his left foot all season, a painful condition that is slowing his game and frustrating him. Not that it really showed on Monday when he dropped 32 on the Clippers, but he has missed games and seen a foot specialist due to the pain. Pain that has been reflected in his shooting and statistics this season.
Now he is considering a laser procedure for the injury to deal with the issue that sideline him three to four months, according to Sam Amick of FanHouse. Evans told the assembled reporters about his plan after the game Monday and Cowbell Kingdom had Evans’ quote:
I talked to my agent today and I was thinking about, maybe getting something done to it earlier, I would probably miss three months or something, I don’t know.
Evans leads the Kings at 16.2 points per game but his shooting percentage has fallen from 45.8 percent last season to 37.6 percent this season. A key part of that is Evans is attacking less — he got to the rim for 8.4 shots per game last season (among the best in the league for guards), this season that is down three shots per game. He is relying more on his unsteady jumper.
The foot may be part of what is holding Evans back from attacking. Young players can also develop bad habits trying to compensate for an injury that are hard to undo later. In that way the procedure makes sense.
No formal decision on the timing on the procedure has been made, although Amick said people around Evans say he does play to do it. The question is when? If he goes through it now he might be back for the end of the season, but as the Kings have the worst record in the league and are not playoff bound there is little reason to rush back. He could wait until closer to the All-Star break and just miss the second half of the season.
Or, he could decide not to do it at all.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 3
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 20
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 14
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 11
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery