Dec 28, 2010, 2:29 AM EDT
Tyreke Evans has been battling plantar fasciitis in his left foot all season, a painful condition that is slowing his game and frustrating him. Not that it really showed on Monday when he dropped 32 on the Clippers, but he has missed games and seen a foot specialist due to the pain. Pain that has been reflected in his shooting and statistics this season.
Now he is considering a laser procedure for the injury to deal with the issue that sideline him three to four months, according to Sam Amick of FanHouse. Evans told the assembled reporters about his plan after the game Monday and Cowbell Kingdom had Evans’ quote:
I talked to my agent today and I was thinking about, maybe getting something done to it earlier, I would probably miss three months or something, I don’t know.
Evans leads the Kings at 16.2 points per game but his shooting percentage has fallen from 45.8 percent last season to 37.6 percent this season. A key part of that is Evans is attacking less — he got to the rim for 8.4 shots per game last season (among the best in the league for guards), this season that is down three shots per game. He is relying more on his unsteady jumper.
The foot may be part of what is holding Evans back from attacking. Young players can also develop bad habits trying to compensate for an injury that are hard to undo later. In that way the procedure makes sense.
No formal decision on the timing on the procedure has been made, although Amick said people around Evans say he does play to do it. The question is when? If he goes through it now he might be back for the end of the season, but as the Kings have the worst record in the league and are not playoff bound there is little reason to rush back. He could wait until closer to the All-Star break and just miss the second half of the season.
Or, he could decide not to do it at all.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6