Dec 28, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT
Ron Artest is a Laker starter, but when it comes time to close out games this season Shannon Brown and Matt Barnes tend to get the fourth quarter run. Mostly because those two are better offensive players.
Don’t think that Artest hasn’t noticed. Kevin Ding has quotes from the Orange County Register.
“I didn’t even get a chance to be a distraction. I only played 20 minutes,” Artest said about the Lakers’ Christmas loss to Miami.
“I thought I played pretty well last game … in limited minutes,” Artest said. “It was unfortunate I couldn’t get off the bench in the fourth quarter. I felt pretty good.”
“I was almost having a semi-breakout game. … I was really close to having a breakout game. I felt good the past couple games. It’s just unfortunate I’m not able to work my way off the bench.”
I remember it differently. I remember Artest getting two quick fouls guarding LeBron (and LeBron having a good game against him, something more detailed research confirmed). I remember his substitution throwing off the Lakers rotations. I see Artest shooting 39 percent on the season and 33.8 percent from three, both numbers down from last season.
I see Phil Jackson with options and going with ones that give the team a better chance to win right now. For Artest, have the breakthrough game and you’ll get the run.
Last season — and into the playoffs — Artest had some key late game plays for the Lakers, but he’s going to have to earn that trust again.
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 23
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 63
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 9
- Who is left on the board after wild first day of NBA free agency? 30
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 20
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 61