Dec 28, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki will not suit up when the Mavericks take on the Raptors Tuesday night — and he may miss a couple more games — but the news for Mavericks fans is all good.
An MRI of Nowitzki’s knee showed only a sprain, no serious damage, according to Art Garcia of NBA.com (via twitter). He is officially listed as day-to-day. He may play Thursday against the Spurs (the Spurs have been catching teams without key guys a lot this season, however).
Nowitzki was off to his usual hot start against the Thunder Monday — 13 points on 4 of 6 shooting — when early in the second quarter he went up for a jumper and was fouled by Serge Ibaka. Nowitzki landed awkwardly and left the game immediately afterward and did not return.
Nowitzki himself didn’t think it was that serious, but any knee injury to a guy having an MVP-like season puts fans and an organization on edge. He is averaging 24.1 points per game on a career best 54.5 shooting perentage this season. Now, no reason to worry.
Nowitzki doesn’t get enough credit for being an iron man — he has missed just 12 games total in the five previous seasons. Since his sophomore NBA campaign he hasn’t played less than 76 games in a season.
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 4
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 30
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 10
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34