Dec 28, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
Dirk Nowitzki will not suit up when the Mavericks take on the Raptors Tuesday night — and he may miss a couple more games — but the news for Mavericks fans is all good.
An MRI of Nowitzki’s knee showed only a sprain, no serious damage, according to Art Garcia of NBA.com (via twitter). He is officially listed as day-to-day. He may play Thursday against the Spurs (the Spurs have been catching teams without key guys a lot this season, however).
Nowitzki was off to his usual hot start against the Thunder Monday — 13 points on 4 of 6 shooting — when early in the second quarter he went up for a jumper and was fouled by Serge Ibaka. Nowitzki landed awkwardly and left the game immediately afterward and did not return.
Nowitzki himself didn’t think it was that serious, but any knee injury to a guy having an MVP-like season puts fans and an organization on edge. He is averaging 24.1 points per game on a career best 54.5 shooting perentage this season. Now, no reason to worry.
Nowitzki doesn’t get enough credit for being an iron man — he has missed just 12 games total in the five previous seasons. Since his sophomore NBA campaign he hasn’t played less than 76 games in a season.
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 4
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 55
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 41