Dec 28, 2010, 12:20 PM EDT
Byron Scott is old school — he played for Pat Riley and his legendary four-hour practices. He was a scrappy role player on a team filled with competitive people — Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar — who only knew one way to play. That was not a team where you gave 50 percent some nights. Plus, like other players of that era they have forgotten the bad times and remember only the good.
So the inconsistent effort Scott is getting from his Cavs this season frustrates him. Because he doesn’t remember his Lakers taking nights off (they did). The fact he has to constantly remind them to give their all is doubly frustrating.
But that’s today’s NBA, where Scott told Waiting for Next Year the effort level is “scary.”
“Around this league, it’s like that,” said Scott on Monday afternoon. “I’m sure I’m not the only coach that has to tell his guys that they have to go out and play hard every single night, ‘We have to compete tonight’ and things like that. I talk to other coaches and it’s almost universal, which is kind of weird. To me, that should be a part of your job, to compete and play hard every single night….”
“My job is to be a little more harsh, keep them a little more accountable as we can’t keep making the same mistakes.”
First off, realize this is a motivational tactic by Scott. However, a coach can do part of the motivating. To be really effective that drive and effort has to demanded by other players. Kevin Garnett is a legendary practice demon. Kobe Bryant will let you know in no uncertain terms if you don’t bust it on his team. There are others, but there is a reason those two guys led their teams to the finals last season.
Scott can talk to his Cavs all he wants, until someone in the locker room steps up and demands effort and accountability they will be inconsistent. At best.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 21
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 18
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead