Dec 27, 2010, 9:02 AM EDT
Who had four games/13 days in the pool for how long Steve Francis would last in China? Come on down and collect your winnings.
Reports out of China have the Beijing Shougang Ducks cutting ties with Francis, something his agent confirmed to Sina Sports (via nuibball.com).
Francis played 14 minutes in the four games he was with the team, averaging 0.5 points per game.
The breaking point of the increasingly poor relationship came on Christmas, which is not a holiday really celebrated in China (the government does not sanction a day off). Francis skipped practice to be with his family, something that did not sit well with the team. Francis was not happy with how he was being used, either.
Francis was a name player in China because he was a star when Yao Ming came into the league with the Rockets. Ticket and merchandise sales were reportedly up since Francis’ arrival, it was on the court where the team and player were not getting along.
No word on what Francis plans to do next. Probably retire.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 15
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9