Dec 27, 2010, 12:11 PM EDT
Yao Ming may be done playing for the season but he still has value in the NBA world — he is a $17 million expiring contract. Heading into a new Collective Bargaining Agreement — whatever it ends up looking like — that’s a lot of money saved and cap room freed up.
With lure of insurance offering $8M discount on his expiring $17M salary, Houston exploring Yao Ming trade on several fronts, sources tell Y
Some teams exploring trade for Yao to re-sign him on short deal, or just get cap relief on his expiring deal, sources say.
It will be interesting to see how the Rockets handle this. They could use that space and flexibility themselves, but if an offer comes in that they think helps start to reshape this team faster GM Daryl Morey will have to seriously consider it.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 10
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0