Dec 27, 2010, 12:11 PM EDT
Yao Ming may be done playing for the season but he still has value in the NBA world — he is a $17 million expiring contract. Heading into a new Collective Bargaining Agreement — whatever it ends up looking like — that’s a lot of money saved and cap room freed up.
With lure of insurance offering $8M discount on his expiring $17M salary, Houston exploring Yao Ming trade on several fronts, sources tell Y
Some teams exploring trade for Yao to re-sign him on short deal, or just get cap relief on his expiring deal, sources say.
It will be interesting to see how the Rockets handle this. They could use that space and flexibility themselves, but if an offer comes in that they think helps start to reshape this team faster GM Daryl Morey will have to seriously consider it.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 20
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 2
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 4
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 24
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9