LeBron says he never supported contraction

Dec 27, 2010, 5:29 PM EST

Nets Heat Basketball

When LeBron James recently said that he believes the league’s talent level has become “watered down,” and illustrated his point by asking people to imagine what the league would look like if the best players from the Timberwolves and Nets were distributed among the rest of the teams in the NBA. Although LeBron did say that he wasn’t advocating for the Timberwolves and Nets to be disbanded in his original comments, some people took his comments to mean that he supported contraction and was undermining the player’s union before the coming CBA negociations.

Today, LeBron clarified his comments to ESPN’s Michael Wallace, and says he was never advocating for contraction:

“[It’s] crazy, because I had no idea what the word ‘contraction’ meant before I saw it on the Internet,” James said after the Miami Heat’s practice Monday. “I never even mentioned that. That word never even came out of my mouth. I was just saying how the league was back in the ’80s and how it could be good again. I never said, ‘Let’s take some of the teams out.’ “…

…”I’m with the players, and the players know that,” James said Monday. “I’ve been with the players. It’s not about getting guys out of the league or knocking teams out. I didn’t mean to upset nobody. I didn’t tell Avery Johnson to leave either. I didn’t say let’s abandon the Nets, and not let them move to Brooklyn or let’s tear down the Target Center in Minnesota. I never said that.”

LeBron has gotten himself into trouble a few times this season by making comments he later needed to clarify. None of his comments have been unforgivable on their own, but LeBron doesn’t seem to realize that his popularity is at an all-time low after “The Decision,” and people are going to be looking for another reason to hate him every time he opens his mouth. Until the Heat have some significant playoff success, which always seems to change people’s mind about a player, LeBron may be best served by letting his superb play do most of his talking for him.

1. silk32 - Dec 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM

VIDEO: Lebron is lying. He watched this video over the summer from the Shock Exchange. At the 9:30 mark Coach Baker explains how the NBA is “watered down” due to so many teams —–> http://clicky.me/3LpZ

2. browniebuck - Dec 27, 2010 at 6:32 PM

What a complete idiot! I never supported contraction, but I mentioned that I wanted to shrink the league? He wants more superstars on each team so that the “Heat” will be taken off of himself and his choice to leave Cleveland to become “Scottie Pippen” for D-Wade.
    If he isn’t supporting contraction, what does he want the Timberwolves, Nets, and Cavaliers to do…field a team of undrafted free agents and get their a55e5 handed to them each and every night by these teams with multiple superstars? You are just bent because the Cavaliers are STILL out-drawing your Heat. There is more support for this BAD Cavaliers team than there is where you took your talents….JACKA$$!!!

3. 8dollarbeer - Dec 27, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Its a sad world we live in when a person who doesn’t know what the word contraction means is a super rich success. Why would you admit to being so stupid?? Everytime this dousche talks he comes off as an uneducated toolbag. He “clairifies” his statements after someone talks to him and tells him how stupid he makes himself looks when he speaks.

4. goforthanddie - Dec 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM

LeBum needs new advisers immediately. Or a muzzle. Or just shut his idiothole.

5. lebronsinsecurity - Dec 27, 2010 at 10:38 PM

Are there really other players in the league that are represented by Lebron and his buddies so called agency?? He has to have some of the worst representation entertainment has ever seen.. Every week it’s something new with this dude.

6. secdominance - Dec 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Maybe he was just recalling what Magic Johnson said two months ago

7. Andy - Dec 28, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Lebron is pulling an ARod…. he says something from the heart and then backs out because he’s afraid of the effects on his image. Another over-handled athlete coming off as a complete douche.

8. silencegooddoer - Dec 28, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Well worded comments above! LeBron really needs to stick to his “core competencies” (if you are reading this LeBron, this means what you really good at) and quit trying to act like an intellectual or financial genius. You are what are! Be comfortable with that. You ARE an athlete with phenomenal physical abilities of dunking and making hard passes to teammates that many others cannot. That is it. You are NOT a sharp-shooter, you are NOT a closer, you are not a true team captain, you are NOT a financial wizard (Warren Buffet’s brilliance will not seep into by osmosis), you are NOT “mature beyond years “ as your PR machine told us, and you are NOT a family man as you try to convince us. If you would put as much effort into rounding your lacking game skills as you do trying to be pop-culture icon, the NBA would be much better off. I often think LeBron belongs on a reality show instead of trying to make the NBA one. “LeBron; I am sorry to tell you, you are not all that. The tribe has spoken!”

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches