Dec 27, 2010, 6:01 PM EDT
After last year’s disaster of a dunk contest, everybody is hoping that this year’s dunk contest competitors will do something special. Most people are hoping that Clippers rookie Blake Griffin and his CGI hops will be the one to save the dunk contest in his home arena, but Pacers forward Josh McRoberts wants to have a chance to bring the magic back to the contest. Take it away, Mike Wells of the Indianapolis Star:
The campaign to get Indiana Pacers forward Josh McRoberts into this year’s slam dunk contest during All-Star weekend is about to begin.
McRoberts and teammate Brandon Rush filmed a scene from the movie “White Men Can’t Jump” for a video they plan to post on a website in the near future because McRoberts wants to take part in his first dunk competition.
“I grew up watching the dunk contest. Now I want my part in it,” the high-flying McRoberts said. “It’ll be fun being in it if it happens.”
McRoberts played the part of Woody Harrelson’s character, Billy Hoyle, and Rush was Wesley Snipes’ character, Sidney Deane.
“We’re trying to get our man Josh into the contest,” Rush said. “It was fun taking part in it. Everybody should like it.”
One of the best ways to keep the dunk contest from sucking again is to make sure the invited dunkers really want to be there, because innovative and well-rehearsed dunks are often more impressive than somebody just showing off their vertical leap — Shannon Brown was invited because of a fan campaign, and ended up using the same dunks he’d used in the 2003 High School dunk contest. And as far as dunk contest campaigns go, McRoberts’ is fairly creative. If McRoberts puts as much time into his dunks as he has into his campaigning, inviting him to the contest might not be the worst idea.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30