Dec 27, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
Working on his jump shot and three point shooting. He would tell anyone and everyone around Team USA about the new form and how it was going to help.
And it has helped. When he uses it.
Rose is much more dangerous from three — he has gone from shooting 26.7 percent last season to 38.1 percent this season.
So why is his overall field goal percentage down from 48.9 percent last season to 45.6 percent this season?
He’s not trusting his improved jump shot in the midrange and because of it is missing. A lot. As Sebastian Pruiti breaks down at Basketball Prospectus.
His shooting from 16 to 23 feet has dropped from 44 percent last year to 41 percent last year. From 10 to 15 feet, it is even worse. Rose’s shooting percentage from that area on the court has gone from 50 percent last year to 27.5 percent this year.
This drop-off goes hand in hand with the fact that Rose is taking more shots off of the dribble from both midrange distances…When watching Rose’s shots off of the dribble, the problem isn’t his form. The real problem is Rose rarely gets set and take pull up jumpers in the midrange, opting for various floaters and runners instead. Now, Rose is very good at these floaters at the rim, but the farther away he is, the more he struggles with them.
Use the jumper, Derrick. Let go, Derrick. Trust me. Trust your feelings. Remember, a point guard can feel the jump shot running through him.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 9
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 25
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 21
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 99
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27