Dec 27, 2010, 8:41 AM EST
The Clippers are shopping Baron Davis, hoping to move him and his contract that has two years and $28.6 million left after this season. Chris Kaman has been mentioned as part of those talks in hopes of sweetening the pot.
But Davis doesn’t want to be traded, he told Chris Tomasson of FanHouse.
“It’s tough because it’s the nature of the business,” Davis said in an interview with FanHouse before the Clippers’ 108-103 win over Phoenix on Sunday about the trade rumors surrounding him. “But it’s tough because I don’t want to leave. I’m here. I came here for a reason. If I were to be traded, I just think that I just never really got a chance to do what I was signed here to do…
“I just look at it like you brought me here and you got to give me an opportunity,” said Davis, who is averaging just 8.8 points and 6.3 assists, the lowest numbers since his rookie season of 1999-2000. He has battled a left knee injury and claims by Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro that he didn’t report to training camp in proper shape.
“I just want to (have an) opportunity to establish something with this core unit and this group and then we’ll keep going,” he added.
Um, Baron you had an opportunity with the Clippers — the past two season plus the start of this one. Yes there were trades that moved guys around Yes, you may not have been healthy for all of that (which ties back into the conditioning questions about you). But that was your chance. Now the Clippers see their young core with Eric Bledsoe at the point, Eric Gordon and Blake Griffin and they want to build around them.
You may not be traded this season (contract issues) but the first decent offer the Clippers get you are gone. Sorry.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16