Dec 26, 2010, 10:03 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant‘s won more than his fair share of games during is career. But he’s lost a few, too. It’s just part of the NBA. So it would be easy for him to brush off what happened Saturday as the Heat creamed his Lakers, busting out by 20 point in the fourth quarter and eventually losing by 16. But in typical Kobe fashion, he is not brushing it off. He was angry following the loss, and let people know about it. From the Los Angeles Times:
“This is serious stuff,” he said after scoring 17 quiet points on six-for-16 shooting. “You dont just have two rings and say were satisfied with what weve got and let it slide. Im not rolling with that.”
He wasnt finished, continuing to glower as he fielded reporters questions for the first time in six days, his media boycott officially ending.
“I think these games mean more to our opponent than they do us,” he said. “I think we need to get that straight. I think we need to play with more focus and put more importance on these games. I don’t like it.”
You can watch video of Bryant’s press conference here. You have to take Bryant’s comments very much in context. And by that I mean, he’s not saying there’s something wrong with the Lakers. He’s simply saying the team isn’t giving enough effort in games that they know don’t matter. Everyone knows these games mean nothing because LA can still coast to homecourt advantage in at least the first round. Losing to the Heat doesn’t mean they’re vulnerable in the playoffs just like creaming the Heat wouldn’t have shown they’re invincible should those two teams meet in the Finals. It just means that Miami decided to show up and perform to expectations, and the Lakers decided to elf around the entire day.
But it’s still not going to make it any less painful for Bryant, who hates losing more than anything, or embarrassing for the rest of the Lakers.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 0
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 9
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 55
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17