Dec 26, 2010, 4:31 AM EDT
What you missed while eating too much roast beast…
We talked about the lessons from the Lakers/Heat already, so we’ll move on.
Knicks 103, Bull 95: This one was close — tied with 10 minutes left — until Chicago missed their next 12 in a row, and ended up shooting 26 percent in the fourth quarter. In contrast, the Knicks were just flat out shooting the rock well all day and from pretty much every spot on the floor (12-22 from three). I’m not crediting the Knicks defense totally for Chicago’s struggles but the result is the same and they will take it.
Magic 86, Boston 78: The Celtics really missed Rajon Rondo and his ability to create at the end of this one. The Magic closed this game out on a 15-1 run and the Celtics were not creating the looks they like, and even when they did Ray Allen was missing catch-and-shoots off the screen or Paul Pierce was missing open threes.
But take nothing away from the Magic, who are making Otis Smith look really smart the last couple of games.
Thunder 114, Nuggets 106: No Carmelo Anthony but the Nuggets hung in this one for a half. Then Kevin Durant happened — 21 points in the third alone. The Thunder rode his momentum to the win. Chauncey Billups dropped 30 for the Nuggets.
Golden State 109, Portland 102: Damn it is fun to watch Monta Ellis play. Well unless you are a Blazers fan. He dropped 39 in this one. The Warriors came from behind on a Blazers team that didn’t have Brandon Roy to steady them (although Andre Miller tried).
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 12
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8