Dec 25, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
The Mavs have announced that Rick Carlisle will miss Monday night’s Mavericks game in Oklahoma City after knee surgery over the Christmas holiday.
Carlisle’s having a rough year, health wise. He missed a game in preseason after fainting in practice. He actually spent some time in the hospital during that episode, and now will miss more time after minor surgery on his left knee.
Carlisle’s health issues make the job he’s done this season all the more impressive. He’s helped lead the Mavericks to a 23-5 start (and yet they’re still behind the Spurs for the division!), and have impressive wins over several top teams in the league. Carlisle has to be considered an early season coach of the year candidate. His team has been even-handed in most of their games, consistently performing, though the team is only fifth in point differential.
Carlisle is expected to return for Tuesday’s game against Toronto. Assistant coach Dwane Casey will take the reins when the Mavericks try to topple the Thunder Monday night.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7