Dec 25, 2010, 6:25 PM EDT
Dwight Howard takes too long on his free throws. A blog name Center’s Little Helper (via TrueHoop) has been ripping him for it for a while — the NBA Rule Book says he can only take 10 seconds, he usually takes a few seconds longer. It’s his way of trying to compensate for his poor free throw shooting, he tries to settle himself. And he has been doing that for a while.
On Christmas Day, on national television, veteran NBA official Bob Delaney called him on it. Midway through the second quarter He called Howard for a violation for taking too long on his free throw. Howard’s second free throw was done and everyone started running back to the other end of the court.
Howard threw the ball to the end line where nobody was standing — not really an overtly angry move but he slowed the game down for throwing it away. So he got a delay-of-game technical. Ray Allen got a free throw and the Celtics got the ball.
Just follow this link to the video.
That gives Howard a league-leading 10 technicals this season.
It was a ballsy call by Delaney because nobody calls that in the NBA — but he was correct. Howard is a regular violator of that rule and he should be called on it.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 0
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 12
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14