Dec 24, 2010, 11:23 AM EDT
Gilbert Arenas looked settled into his new Magic role Thursday night — 14 points, 9 assists off the bench.
Of course, everything with the Magic looked settled for one game — granted, one game against the team with the best record in the league, but one game. There still may be changes ahead.
But Arenas told the Orlando Sentinel he doesn’t want one of those changes to be him starting.
“I’m coming off the bench,” Arenas said. “Jameer’s (Nelson) starting and Jason (Richardson)… that’s the group. I’m coming off the bench and I do what I do. I don’t want to start. This team is too talented.”
Stan Van Gundy’s biggest challenge may be how to get Arenas, Nelson and Richardson all enough minutes. Which is not a bad problem to have.
Arenas seems to fit well in the Lamar Odom or old Manu Ginobili role — a star player willing to come off the bench who changes the game when he does enter. He did that against the Spurs, Arenas helped the Magic start to pull away.
As long as the wins keep coming, everyone is happy in Orlando.
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 0
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 34
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 14
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 27
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay