Dec 24, 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
What you missed while wrapping gifts… what do you mean you’re not done shopping?!?
Magic 123, Spurs 101: The Orlando Magic got out and ran. They scored a season high 30 fast break points. There were 95 possessions in the game, closer to a Golden State Warrior pace than what we usually see from Orlando. But it worked for them. Newcomers Jason Richardson and Hedo Turkoglu were the ones getting the ball into transition and dictating the style. Dwight Howard had 29 points on 11 of 13 shooting, and as a team the Magic shot a ridiculous 59.5 percent (and they were 13-25 from three).
The Spurs were okay, it was just Orlando’s night. The question becomes can they keep up that pace — literally. We’ll see on Christmas against Boston.
Heat 95, Suns 83: Dwyane Wade sat this one out injured — don’t worry, he’ll go on Christmas — and that meant LeBron James could return to being his ball-dominating self . He just seems more comfortable that way. He had 36 despite a slower second half due to foul trouble. Bosh started slow but found his way through the mid-range game and had 23.
What really won the game was defense — the Heat got back in transition and held the Suns to 40 percent shooting as a team. Jared Dudley was the stud for the Suns with 33 on 11-16 shooting, but as he himself admitted on another night, when Dudley is the Suns leading scorer they are in trouble.
Bucks 84, Kings 79: The Bucks don’t mind an ugly game, and this one was pretty much pigs rolling around in the mud. The Kings shot 36.5 percent as a team and had 25 turnovers on the night, if it wasn’t for their 19 offensive rebounds this would have been much worse. The Kings scored just 15 in the fourth quarter and blew another late lead.
The Bucks weren’t great, but if you just stay out of the way of the Kings collapse they are not that hard to beat right now. Earl Boykins led the way with 19 for the Bucks.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20