Dec 23, 2010, 1:51 PM EDT
Michael Jordan has seen enough and it’s not just the coaching position that is getting an overhaul.
Multiple reports or trade talks out there suggest Jordan is going to be aggressive in revamping a mismatched and unimpressive Bobcats roster. Sam Amick of FanHouse reports one deal being discussed with Portland.
Bobcats and Portland have discussed a trade that would send beloved small forward Gerald Wallace to the Blazers with center DeSagana Diop and point guard D.J. Augustin in exchange for center Marcus Camby and point guard Andre Miller.
That comes on the heels of the Bobcats discussing trading for Baron Davis of the Clippers.
It’s likely neither of those deals goes through. In the case of the Portland deal, it makes great sense for the Bobcats but without Miller or a healthy Brandon Roy do the Blazers want Augustin or Patty Mills running the show full time at the point? And Marcus Camby in the deal? Seems a bit steep.
But the real point here is Jordan has realized that last year Larry Brown got every ounce out of the Bobcats roster to make the playoffs at 44-38. Then with Raymond Felton and Tyson Chandler gone there just is only so much any coach could do. So Jordan is looking at moves that would radically reshape the team and put it on another path.
Of course, Amick also reports that Jordan is trying to trim down payroll heading into the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The problem is that lower salary structures and winning are a tough thing to match up in the NBA, particularly over the long haul.
We’ll see how it shakes out, but you have to like an owner willing to be that aggressive once he makes a decision.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28