LeBron, Doc Rivers don’t want to play on Christmas either

Dec 23, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT

jamespreseason Getty Images

Yesterday it was Phil Jackson sounding like the Grinch to basketball fans, wondering why teams have to play on Christmas day. Particularly his teams.

But as we always suspected, there is more than one Grinch — one man with a heart two sizes too small could not do it all alone. LeBron James and Doc Rivers both had questions about Christmas Day games as well.

James and his Heat are in Los Angeles for a green Christmas and a game against the Laker, but he told the Associated Press he’d rather be home in South Beach.

“If you ask any player in the league, we’d rather be home with our families,” James said. “I think the people that even set the games up would rather be home with their family during this day. It’s not just a regular holiday. It’s definitely one of those days that you wish you could wake up in the morning with the kids and open up presents.”

Doc Rivers told WEEI that the NBA is saturating Christmas and making it too commercialized or something.

“I wish they would reduce the games on Christmas,” Rivers said Tuesday. “I thought it was more special when it was two games. Now they it’s up five games. I think that’s too many.”

One dissenting voice came from Dwyane Wade, quoted in TrueHoop.

“We’re blessed to be working on Christmas. But you make time, either the night before, or the day after. I’ll be able to get a little Christmas time with my family. They’ll adjust to my schedule. We’ll be fine. To be in Los Angeles for Christmas … it’s not the worst thing. And I’ll see my family in Miami when I get back home.”

1. knightstrafe - Dec 23, 2010 at 11:20 AM

See, Lebrons two cents is different from what we’re getting from Jackson and Rivers. Jackson is coming from a Religious point of view and to him its about repect for the day. Understandable. Rivers is talking about keeping the idea of marqee games special, which is also very understandable.
    Lebron just comes off once again as a self centered brat who doesn’t realize the amount of hard working people that work on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years every year and
    take a little pleasure in getting to see their favorite team play before heading out into the snow to pick up the slack for everyone lucky enough to be at home. Did i mention they dont make tens of thousands for showing up that day either? Speaking for everyone in the league only adds further insult. Will this kid every grow up?

• bbrown2523 - Dec 23, 2010 at 11:39 AM

@knightstrafe Maybe you need to grow up and learn reading comprehension. He wants to spend time with his kids and family, and he mentions it would be good for other people involved with the team (stadium workers, front office, training, etc.) to also have time with their families. You are obviously one of those people that dislikes LeBron so much, that no matter what he says you would have a negative response.

• secdominance - Dec 23, 2010 at 5:54 PM

How dare Lebron? Wanting to spend time with his family on a special holiday where pretty much everyone else is at home with their family watching him work. What a selfish prick! Not wanting to work on Christmas. Lebron needs to realize he’s not a regular guy. He has to answer to the fans.

2. bigtrav425 - Dec 23, 2010 at 9:15 PM

I hate to say it but i agree with LBJ and Doc…I think everyone knows the NBA doesnt care about there players and families and only care about making money.These guys are on the road/run for atleast 6 months,the least they can do is give the xmas off to spend time with there kids and family.But as long as the Nazi David Stern is in charge that wont happen

3. scamp1946 - Dec 24, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Lebron, you do not have a clue do you? Millions of basketball fans and non-basketball fans alike would love to spend Christmas day with their families, but they have to work. Police, firefighters, bus drivers, communication workers, interstate transportation workers, cooks, waitresses, concession stand workers at basketball games, doctors, nurses, other hospital staff, airline employees, retail workers in drug stores, grocery stores, department stores, emergency road crews, gas station workers et. al.. Do you get the point? Some of these don’t get a choice either. The only difference being you make a jillion times more money and you are rich enough that when you retire at approximate 35 you can spend every day with your family. These people won’t retire maybe forever because they won’t be able to afford it. How about the armed services serving overseas? Think they might like to be home? Every professional sport requires some sacrifice from it’s athletes. Time away from home is a bummer but boy are you well compensated for it. So, quit your whining and realize how lucky you are and quit being so selfish or maybe you’re not mature enough by taking all these other folks for granted. I know for a fact a lot our men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan are looking forward to seeing you get your butt whipped by Kobe and the Lakers. Based on some of your recent selfish actions and comments, you can count on me rooting very loudly against you.

• cordae - Dec 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Damn, JUST when I thought I seen it all. Youre telling me just because he is in the spotlight, he cant spend time with his family? He IS human you know! Funny thing is, if he had answered that question any different you would have slandered him just as nasty. People like you ache to hear what comes out of this mans mouth just to bash it. Grow up. All of those other people in those professions you named complains more than he does, and they’re hard-workers but if he complains he’s selfish? What do you view him as? Your rhetoric is ALL jacked up dude..

4. secdominance - Dec 24, 2010 at 9:52 PM

you people are so jaded on Lebron its damn near fascinating

• secdominance - Dec 24, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I mean, the NBA owners out there are making more than players, but they’re at home with their families….

5. jbiggz42 - Dec 26, 2010 at 7:21 PM

What about those that fight for our country and never get to be home for Christmas. Lebron your real selfish cause I have spent thanksgiving, Christmas, and new years on webcam with my family for the past 4 years, I didn’t even get to go home for my sons berth and your gonna stand there and complain about playing basketball and getting payed millions of dollars for playin on Christmas. Since your not playin on new years or Easter and even get to be home for fathers day I hope you enjoy every minute, cause each day pasts you lose a fan. I’ll be prayin for your selfishness

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches