Dec 23, 2010, 9:55 PM EDT
The Lakers went into this season wanting to upgrade their backup at the three and to add some three-point shooting.
Right away, during the beginning of the process, the Lakers intrigued me. They gave me an offer that was tough for me to pass up. But going into the whole process was something that was exciting for me because I hadn’t had a chance to really control my own destiny. … Fortunately for me there were some interesting teams that had chances to win and I had some options. … After the other guys made their decisions, I felt like this was the best spot for me.”
On how the Lakers wooed him:
“Just obviously with winning. Coach Jackson would be a great coach to play for, and Kobe. I played with Pau before. It was simple to woo me in the fact that they were coming off winning a world championship….
“Yeah I talked to Kobe a couple of times. … Believe me, some of the stuff he was saying made me want to sign right there. In fact, I had made the decision to do that and then … New York came in and offered me a lot more money or was thinking about offering me a lot more money.”
“The Lakers offered me the mid-level and New York was above that. Obviously we never nailed anything down because I ended up coming to Miami. Miami’s was good. Obviously you take into consideration winning, you take into consideration where I’m living. … There’s all kinds of different things you have to take into consideration.”
He is with the Heat and the Lakers used Steve Blake and Matt Barnes to fill the roles they wanted Miller for. On Christmas day the Lakers get to see what they missed.
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 2
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68