Dec 23, 2010, 4:51 PM EDT
Orlando rookie Daniel Orton underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee this morning, and according to Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel, Orton himself reported the surgery as a success.
Orton hasn’t played at all for the Magic this season, and this particular procedure is actually a result of an aggravation of a previous injury that occurred during his short-lived stint in the D-League. Orlando didn’t have the time or luxury to develop a young big man, and thus delegated Orton to get some consistent playing time under his belt with the New Mexico Thunderbirds.
Good thing the Magic aren’t starving for bigs to play behind Dwight Howard these days. I mean they still have Marcin Gort — oh. Well, then. Orton was selected as something of a project big to develop on the back-burner while Howard and Gortat played a majority of the minutes at center. With Gortat now out of the picture thanks to the Magic’s trade-happy weekend, Orlando could certainly use Orton’s size, even if his game is still underdeveloped. Yet somehow, despite signing two bigs to mid-level deals in the summer of 2009, netting one more in the Vince Carter deal with New Jersey, and drafting a center in the first round of the 2010 draft, Orlando doesn’t have any viable candidates for backup center minutes.
Orton wouldn’t solve any of Orlando’s problems, but he’d at least provide them with another option for filling minutes in the middle, even if that option isn’t a very good one.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54