Dec 23, 2010, 4:51 PM EST
Orlando rookie Daniel Orton underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee this morning, and according to Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel, Orton himself reported the surgery as a success.
Orton hasn’t played at all for the Magic this season, and this particular procedure is actually a result of an aggravation of a previous injury that occurred during his short-lived stint in the D-League. Orlando didn’t have the time or luxury to develop a young big man, and thus delegated Orton to get some consistent playing time under his belt with the New Mexico Thunderbirds.
Good thing the Magic aren’t starving for bigs to play behind Dwight Howard these days. I mean they still have Marcin Gort — oh. Well, then. Orton was selected as something of a project big to develop on the back-burner while Howard and Gortat played a majority of the minutes at center. With Gortat now out of the picture thanks to the Magic’s trade-happy weekend, Orlando could certainly use Orton’s size, even if his game is still underdeveloped. Yet somehow, despite signing two bigs to mid-level deals in the summer of 2009, netting one more in the Vince Carter deal with New Jersey, and drafting a center in the first round of the 2010 draft, Orlando doesn’t have any viable candidates for backup center minutes.
Orton wouldn’t solve any of Orlando’s problems, but he’d at least provide them with another option for filling minutes in the middle, even if that option isn’t a very good one.
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 6
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 3
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 17
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 46
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 45