Dec 23, 2010, 4:51 PM EST
Orlando rookie Daniel Orton underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee this morning, and according to Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel, Orton himself reported the surgery as a success.
Orton hasn’t played at all for the Magic this season, and this particular procedure is actually a result of an aggravation of a previous injury that occurred during his short-lived stint in the D-League. Orlando didn’t have the time or luxury to develop a young big man, and thus delegated Orton to get some consistent playing time under his belt with the New Mexico Thunderbirds.
Good thing the Magic aren’t starving for bigs to play behind Dwight Howard these days. I mean they still have Marcin Gort — oh. Well, then. Orton was selected as something of a project big to develop on the back-burner while Howard and Gortat played a majority of the minutes at center. With Gortat now out of the picture thanks to the Magic’s trade-happy weekend, Orlando could certainly use Orton’s size, even if his game is still underdeveloped. Yet somehow, despite signing two bigs to mid-level deals in the summer of 2009, netting one more in the Vince Carter deal with New Jersey, and drafting a center in the first round of the 2010 draft, Orlando doesn’t have any viable candidates for backup center minutes.
Orton wouldn’t solve any of Orlando’s problems, but he’d at least provide them with another option for filling minutes in the middle, even if that option isn’t a very good one.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (44)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)