Dec 23, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
“My thing is, when (Charles) Barkley played basketball, he didn’t practice, he wasn’t a leader, he wasn’t this or that, he just had natural talent so he got chosen to the Dream Team, All Star team because he had the talent and he was the franchise player on the team.”
“Dwight Howard is embarrassing Patrick (Ewing) if you ask me. He doesn’t have a ball player’s mind. And they tell me he is one of the best centers in the game. He wouldn’t have even made the league ten years ago. He would be on the bench.”
Those are just a couple select quotes (the top one from this week) from Charles Oakley.
That would be Charlotte Bobcat assistant coach Charles Oakley, to you.
The rumor had been out there and Oakley himself confirmed it on his twitter account today. This may make it the first time reporters would rather interview an assistant coach after a game rather than the head coach. (Actually, that’s more common than you think.)
Oakley had a 19-year NBA career and is known starting out as the bodyguard and enforcer for Michael Jordan who went on to play many years for the Knicks.
Also on the staff (according to Sam Amick of FanHouse) is expected to be Ralph Lewis and Stephen Silas — yes Silas, as in Paul’s son. He had been an assistant coach with Golden State.
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 9
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 18
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 29
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 31
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 42
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24