Dec 23, 2010, 1:31 PM EST
“My thing is, when (Charles) Barkley played basketball, he didn’t practice, he wasn’t a leader, he wasn’t this or that, he just had natural talent so he got chosen to the Dream Team, All Star team because he had the talent and he was the franchise player on the team.”
“Dwight Howard is embarrassing Patrick (Ewing) if you ask me. He doesn’t have a ball player’s mind. And they tell me he is one of the best centers in the game. He wouldn’t have even made the league ten years ago. He would be on the bench.”
Those are just a couple select quotes (the top one from this week) from Charles Oakley.
That would be Charlotte Bobcat assistant coach Charles Oakley, to you.
The rumor had been out there and Oakley himself confirmed it on his twitter account today. This may make it the first time reporters would rather interview an assistant coach after a game rather than the head coach. (Actually, that’s more common than you think.)
Oakley had a 19-year NBA career and is known starting out as the bodyguard and enforcer for Michael Jordan who went on to play many years for the Knicks.
Also on the staff (according to Sam Amick of FanHouse) is expected to be Ralph Lewis and Stephen Silas — yes Silas, as in Paul’s son. He had been an assistant coach with Golden State.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8