Dec 23, 2010, 1:31 PM EST
“My thing is, when (Charles) Barkley played basketball, he didn’t practice, he wasn’t a leader, he wasn’t this or that, he just had natural talent so he got chosen to the Dream Team, All Star team because he had the talent and he was the franchise player on the team.”
“Dwight Howard is embarrassing Patrick (Ewing) if you ask me. He doesn’t have a ball player’s mind. And they tell me he is one of the best centers in the game. He wouldn’t have even made the league ten years ago. He would be on the bench.”
Those are just a couple select quotes (the top one from this week) from Charles Oakley.
That would be Charlotte Bobcat assistant coach Charles Oakley, to you.
The rumor had been out there and Oakley himself confirmed it on his twitter account today. This may make it the first time reporters would rather interview an assistant coach after a game rather than the head coach. (Actually, that’s more common than you think.)
Oakley had a 19-year NBA career and is known starting out as the bodyguard and enforcer for Michael Jordan who went on to play many years for the Knicks.
Also on the staff (according to Sam Amick of FanHouse) is expected to be Ralph Lewis and Stephen Silas — yes Silas, as in Paul’s son. He had been an assistant coach with Golden State.
- Is Carmelo Anthony’s smart play to opt in and play out contract with Knicks? 0
- LeBron says he has open door policy, would certainly speak to Paul George 18
- Report: Knicks met with Phil Jackson about coaching them 36
- Extra Pass: Golden State Warriors defending at historically high level 5
- Thursday night NBA grades: Gerald Green just couldn’t seem to miss 7