Dec 22, 2010, 11:33 AM EST
Gilbert Arenas is nothing if not confident.
Two games into his Orlando Magic career he is 3 of 17 shooting. That’s 17.7 percent. Yet he told Tim Povtak of FanHouse he is worried about nothing.
“I’m not playing too well yet, but I’m already `The Man,’ at the grocery store over near the house. I’m like Dwight Howard over there,” Arenas chuckled Tuesday night after struggling again uncharacteristically. “I’m like a superstar at the Publix (supermarket)…”
“I’m still trying to find out where to put my dominance,” Arenas said in a serious tone. “My role will be to score, to make shots, to make plays. My shot has been fabulous in practice. I just haven’t gotten it acclimated to the games yet.”
As a whole the Magic are still trying to figure out the new combinations, what works and what doesn’t. With the limited practice time NBA teams get, integrating new players takes time in season. It isn’t just Arenas struggling — Jason Richardson is 7-21 and Hedo Turkoglu is 3-15 since the trade.
It doesn’t help that the first two games for the new lineups were against the Hawks and Mavericks (both losses) followed next by the Spurs and Celtics. Tough schedule for any team, any time, let alone one with a bunch of new players.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)