Dec 22, 2010, 12:36 PM EDT
Dwight Howard can be a free agent in two years and that certainly was part of the motivation for Orlando swinging for the fences with trades to get Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson and Hedo Turkoglu. The Magic are about the now.
DisneyWorld vs. Disneyland feud could go DefCon1: Sources say DHoward has eye on Lakers if Magic don’t win a title in next 2 years.
First off, isn’t it a little early to be talking about where Dwight Howard might want to go in two years? Especially if we are talking about the old wound that is the city Shaq migrated to when he left Orlando. Secondly, if we are going to tweet the name of every player who would like to come to the Lakers we’re going to fill up your entire timeline. Virtually everybody in the NBA wants to play for the Lakers/Celtics/Heat and the other traditional powers of the league. It’s a lot more fun to play in front of a full house rather than a half empty one.
The other problem with all of this is that the Lakers are pretty locked into their existing core through then, with $69 million already on the books for the 2012-13 season. Which is over the existing salary cap, let alone whatever cap number comes with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Theoretically Los Angeles could not pick up the team option on Andrew Bynum for that season and buy out the non-guaranteed deal of Lamar Odom to make room for a sign-and-trade…
Really, we’re going to do this now? Maybe we should wait to see how the new teammates for Dwight Howard do when blended together before we worry about where he’s going to play after the next presidential election. Clearly Otis Smith and the Magic are committed to keeping him.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30