Dec 22, 2010, 12:36 PM EDT
Dwight Howard can be a free agent in two years and that certainly was part of the motivation for Orlando swinging for the fences with trades to get Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson and Hedo Turkoglu. The Magic are about the now.
DisneyWorld vs. Disneyland feud could go DefCon1: Sources say DHoward has eye on Lakers if Magic don’t win a title in next 2 years.
First off, isn’t it a little early to be talking about where Dwight Howard might want to go in two years? Especially if we are talking about the old wound that is the city Shaq migrated to when he left Orlando. Secondly, if we are going to tweet the name of every player who would like to come to the Lakers we’re going to fill up your entire timeline. Virtually everybody in the NBA wants to play for the Lakers/Celtics/Heat and the other traditional powers of the league. It’s a lot more fun to play in front of a full house rather than a half empty one.
The other problem with all of this is that the Lakers are pretty locked into their existing core through then, with $69 million already on the books for the 2012-13 season. Which is over the existing salary cap, let alone whatever cap number comes with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Theoretically Los Angeles could not pick up the team option on Andrew Bynum for that season and buy out the non-guaranteed deal of Lamar Odom to make room for a sign-and-trade…
Really, we’re going to do this now? Maybe we should wait to see how the new teammates for Dwight Howard do when blended together before we worry about where he’s going to play after the next presidential election. Clearly Otis Smith and the Magic are committed to keeping him.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28