Dec 22, 2010, 12:36 PM EDT
Dwight Howard can be a free agent in two years and that certainly was part of the motivation for Orlando swinging for the fences with trades to get Gilbert Arenas, Jason Richardson and Hedo Turkoglu. The Magic are about the now.
DisneyWorld vs. Disneyland feud could go DefCon1: Sources say DHoward has eye on Lakers if Magic don’t win a title in next 2 years.
First off, isn’t it a little early to be talking about where Dwight Howard might want to go in two years? Especially if we are talking about the old wound that is the city Shaq migrated to when he left Orlando. Secondly, if we are going to tweet the name of every player who would like to come to the Lakers we’re going to fill up your entire timeline. Virtually everybody in the NBA wants to play for the Lakers/Celtics/Heat and the other traditional powers of the league. It’s a lot more fun to play in front of a full house rather than a half empty one.
The other problem with all of this is that the Lakers are pretty locked into their existing core through then, with $69 million already on the books for the 2012-13 season. Which is over the existing salary cap, let alone whatever cap number comes with the new Collective Bargaining Agreement. Theoretically Los Angeles could not pick up the team option on Andrew Bynum for that season and buy out the non-guaranteed deal of Lamar Odom to make room for a sign-and-trade…
Really, we’re going to do this now? Maybe we should wait to see how the new teammates for Dwight Howard do when blended together before we worry about where he’s going to play after the next presidential election. Clearly Otis Smith and the Magic are committed to keeping him.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37