Dec 21, 2010, 11:44 AM EST
Just how confusing and circular is the Carmelo Anthony trade situation?
Take the two very different stories that broke Tuesday.
On one hand you have Yahoo’s trade rumor machine Adrian Wojnarowski saying that the Nets and Nuggets are working on a complex multi-team deal which would bring Anthony and some other quality talent to the Nets, instantly upgrading that franchise so he would sign there.
The story was short on names and specifics, but the core idea makes some sense — Anthony wants to win now, not be relegated to rebuilding in Newark for a couple years, so the only way he will sign an extension with the Nets is if they can bring in players to put around him. Certainly Anthony and Al Harrington would be part of what goes to New Jersey, while rookie Derrick Favors would heat to the Mile High City. But other big parts would be involved as well.
Unless Anthony himself decides to stay in Denver after all, which is what the Nuggets are really pushing for, says Denver-based Chris Tommason of FanHouse.
Denver will get Kenyon Martin back to help their front line soon and the team brain trust wants to see how the full roster looks before doing anything, this report says. The injured Chauncey Billups should also be back, and they want to see the whole band perform — and see if that changes Anthony’s mind about signing the three-year, $64 million extension still on the table.
That report also says that Anthony is still not interested in signing an extension with the Nets.
Which is why the Nets need to bring in more talent. And this whole thing starts over again as the Nets try to get more talent in a deal….
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 0
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 10
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10