Dec 21, 2010, 5:49 PM EDT
The good news just keeps on coming for the 22-4 Boston Celtics. According to Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston, Celtics starting center and defensive specialist Kendrick Perkins is participating in on-court activity and may be able to return to full-contact practice by January:
Center Kendrick Perkins participated in his most heightened on-court activity since undergoing offseason ACL surgery on his right knee, taking a big step forward in his quest to return to the lineup later this season…
…Perkins, who got fitted for a new brace last week, said he dunked immediately after trying it on — “Just to make sure I still can,” he joked — but said he even surprised himself Tuesday by not thinking about the injury and moving well.
“A couple times I did [think about the knee], like on a pick-and-roll that I went up and dunked, but I didn’t even think about it then, not until after. I was like, ‘Damn, I might be all right, after all.’ I felt pretty good out there.
Doc Rivers hopes that Perkins will start participating in full-court practice by late January or early February, but Perkins is looking at the All-Star break. In any case, there’s no need to rush Perkins back on the court — again, the Celtics are 22-4, and Shaquille O’Neal and his 67.3% Field Goal percentage has been one of the biggest surprises of the season.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay