Dec 21, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
Rip Hamilton has seen his role dramatically change in Detroit. He was once the guy run off multiple screens every possession to get him a mid-range jumper. The heart of the offense. Now he most often a decoy who plays fewer minutes every month it seems. Now Ben Gordon is starting and Hamilton is coming off the bench.
All that is not sitting well with Hamilton. Which may have something to do with the “upset stomach” that caused him to miss a Pistons practice Saturday and game Sunday.
All of which has led some Pistons to think Hamilton has quit on the team, the Detroit News reports.
“He quit on us,” one team source said. Another team source said Hamilton is acting out of emotion and should adjust.
“If I need to have a long talk with him, I will,” Dumars said Monday on WDFN. “I’ll see how Rip is doing tomorrow when he gets in here. Rip’s been good for me.”
Dumars has been shopping Hamilton around for a while but a combination of things has slowed down offers coming in. One is Hamilton’s play — the last two seasons his shooting percentage has fallen down to just above 40 percent and he is just not the same scoring threat. Combine that with a big contract — Hamilton is getting paid $12.5 million this season and next — and the uncertainty of a Pistons team that is up for sale and other teams are not jumping in to get him.
That may change — next season he would be an expiring contract (his 2012-13 year is not guaranteed) — but it may be this summer before teams jump in. With a new Collective Bargaining Agreement looming some teams are more hesitant to take on big deals until they see the details.
The bottom line is Hamilton is not likely going anywhere soon. So if he has quit on the team it’s going to be a long next four months.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 4
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million