Dec 21, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Connecticut State Attorney John Connelly is being investigated regarding his relationship with attorney Martin Minnella, with the theory that Minnella used his relationship with Connelly to get reduced sentences for his clients, according to the Hartford Courant.
One of Minnella’s clients who saw his sentence reduced with an okay by Connelly is Keith Gomes, cousin of Clippers forward Ryan Gomes. Ryan admitted that federal officers have spoken with him about his contact with Connelly and Minnella, according to tweets from Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times.
Ryan Gomes confirms to Times he was interviewed by federal agents in Nov in connection w/probe of Connecticut State’s Atty. John Connelly,
At issue, apparently, is whether Ryan Gomes contacted Connelly about his cousin’s prison sentence, the Hartford Courant reported.
“That’s all I did was make a call, to him, can you look out for this?’” Ryan Gomes told The Times after Monday’s game. “And that was it.”
Gomes said that his mother is scheduled to go before grand jury Tue. Keith is his first cousin. He said they were once close but grew apart.
This is a wide-ranging federal investigation that goes well beyond the Gomes family, although Keith’s case is part of the investigation because he had his sentence reduced.
Ryan Gomes has not been charged with any crime.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 2
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 12
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34