Dec 21, 2010, 9:40 AM EDT
Connecticut State Attorney John Connelly is being investigated regarding his relationship with attorney Martin Minnella, with the theory that Minnella used his relationship with Connelly to get reduced sentences for his clients, according to the Hartford Courant.
One of Minnella’s clients who saw his sentence reduced with an okay by Connelly is Keith Gomes, cousin of Clippers forward Ryan Gomes. Ryan admitted that federal officers have spoken with him about his contact with Connelly and Minnella, according to tweets from Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times.
Ryan Gomes confirms to Times he was interviewed by federal agents in Nov in connection w/probe of Connecticut State’s Atty. John Connelly,
At issue, apparently, is whether Ryan Gomes contacted Connelly about his cousin’s prison sentence, the Hartford Courant reported.
“That’s all I did was make a call, to him, can you look out for this?’” Ryan Gomes told The Times after Monday’s game. “And that was it.”
Gomes said that his mother is scheduled to go before grand jury Tue. Keith is his first cousin. He said they were once close but grew apart.
This is a wide-ranging federal investigation that goes well beyond the Gomes family, although Keith’s case is part of the investigation because he had his sentence reduced.
Ryan Gomes has not been charged with any crime.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2