Dec 20, 2010, 10:16 AM EST
Steve Nash is a company man.
As evidence, look what he told the Arizona Republic about the weekend trade that sent out Jason Richardson (and Hedo Turkoglu, technically, although not a huge loss there) and gave him Vince Carter, Mickael Pietrus and Marcin Gortat.
“I’m optimistic that it can help us short- and long-term,” Suns guard Steve Nash said. “It sounds like it would’ve been tough to keep J-Rich in the summer anyway so it was a chance to take a move in a new direction.
“I think all three of those guys are good offensive players so I don’t think that it’s going to hurt us. It gives us more size that we needed. It should be a good opportunity for us.”
Steve Nash is optimistic because he has no other choice but to be optimistic.
No, this move was not about the short term. Yes Gortat will bring some quality play to the paint, just as they are getting Robin Lopez back to do that exact same thing. And in theory Pietrus will be a good fit in this system and gives the Suns better wing defense. But if he were living up to his potential he would not have been traded.
The biggie is Vince Carter is not Jason Richardson in this system — Carter is not a knockdown spot up shooter. Carter is a guy who needs the ball in his hands to create, but if the ball is in his hands means it’s not in Nash’s hands. And that’s bad.
Besides, let’s not pretend this was about anything but the almighty dollar. This was about getting rid of the boated Hedo Turkoglu contract and bringing in a Carter contract that can be bought out next season for “just” $4 million to save money.
The Suns did not get dramatically worse, maybe everything will kind of wash out. Which leaves Nash trying to drag his team into the eighth playoff spot out West just to be destroyed in the first round.
You know at age 36 that is not what Nash wants, he wants another shot at a ring. But Nash isn’t going to rip the Suns, he says good things and and probably convinces himself that is the truth. Because he has no other choice.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10