Dec 20, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Even halfway around the world Steve Francis is a story when he steps on the basketball court… just not always for the reasons he would hope
Francis is playing in China for Beijing and finally got into a game — except it was a surprise to everyone including Francis, according to niubball.com (via Ball Don’t Lie). His coach had told him and the press he wouldn’t play for a week, but then the game was close late and….
With Francis icing his ankle on the bench clearly not expecting to be subbed in, (coach) Min (Lulei) inserted him into the game anyways after Beijing’s Jordanian forward, Zaid Abbas, converted on an and-one lay-up on the offensive end. Completely unprepared to enter the game, Francis didn’t even have time to tie his shoes as he quickly shed his warm-up suit and tucked in his jersey before entering the court. With his shoelaces loose and the ice pack around his ankle, “Fu Laoda” – loosely translated into English as Big Boss Francis – received a loud standing ovation and the obligatory “Fu Laoda, jiayou!” chant from the home crowd as he ran back on defense after the free throw
Francis played only 17 seconds and did not get his name in the box score. But the legend continues anyway, follow this link to see the photo.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50