Dec 20, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Even halfway around the world Steve Francis is a story when he steps on the basketball court… just not always for the reasons he would hope
Francis is playing in China for Beijing and finally got into a game — except it was a surprise to everyone including Francis, according to niubball.com (via Ball Don’t Lie). His coach had told him and the press he wouldn’t play for a week, but then the game was close late and….
With Francis icing his ankle on the bench clearly not expecting to be subbed in, (coach) Min (Lulei) inserted him into the game anyways after Beijing’s Jordanian forward, Zaid Abbas, converted on an and-one lay-up on the offensive end. Completely unprepared to enter the game, Francis didn’t even have time to tie his shoes as he quickly shed his warm-up suit and tucked in his jersey before entering the court. With his shoelaces loose and the ice pack around his ankle, “Fu Laoda” – loosely translated into English as Big Boss Francis – received a loud standing ovation and the obligatory “Fu Laoda, jiayou!” chant from the home crowd as he ran back on defense after the free throw
Francis played only 17 seconds and did not get his name in the box score. But the legend continues anyway, follow this link to see the photo.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 51
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18