Dec 20, 2010, 7:49 PM EDT
As of Monday night when the Wizards took on the Bobcats, rookie and franchise guy John Wall will have missed five of the last six for Washington.
Don’t expect him back soon. What had been thought of as tendonitis (which coach Flip Saunders said could be chronic) he is also fighting through a bone bruise behind his right kneecap that could keep him out at least another week, according to Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
“I had a feeling it wasn’t just tendinitis,” said Wall, who was distraught when he heard the diagnosis and believes the injury is the result of compensating on earlier foot and knee injuries on the left side of his body. “I was like, ‘If it’s tendinitis, I would’ve played through it.’ Tendinitis is very painful, but I played through it summer league, I play through it now. I couldn’t do no squats or I couldn’t really run or I couldn’t cut, so I knew it had to be something more than that.”
That is disturbing that his knees were an issue as early as Summer League, but that may be treatable. The rest should help it.
Wall has missed 11 of the Wizards 26 games now. A number that will grow.
“It’s pretty tough,” Wall said. “I’ve probably missed five, six games out of my whole life playing basketball. This is the most I’ve missed. So it’s frustrating, trying to rehab, and seeing my team out there and can’t be out there and can’t make plays. I think my team is doing a great job of fighting and doing as much as they can. I just can’t wait to get back out there with them.”
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40