Dec 20, 2010, 2:08 PM EDT
We tried to warn you something bad was afoot, so to speak, but this was worse news than expected. And very bad news for a Bucks team that finally got Andrew Bogut back and was trying to get back into the playoff chase.
Brandon Jennings will be out four to six weeks when an MRI discovered a fracture in his foot, one that will have to be repaired surgically, the team announced. He has fractured the fifth metatarsal. That is the same bone that caused Toronto’s Reggie Evans to miss games and the Mavericks Roddy Beaubois to miss a lot more. The Journal Sentinel talked to Bucks coach Scott Skiles.
“You think about his age and his frame,” Skiles said. “He’s been incredibly durable. It’s kind of a freak thing. We’ve just got to try to get him right. He’s a young player with a bright future and we’ve got to think long term and let him come back when he’s 100%. And you don’t want to mess around with feet. It’s a tough game to play without healthy feet.”
Jennings is the Bucks leading scorer at 17.9 points per game and had played in 107 consecutive games. He is not a terribly efficient shooter (39 percent) but he sets the table and puts up points. Look for more Keyon Dooling at the point, but it really means that John Salmons has to step up to his former levels and take on a lot more offense.
If you look at what Jennings said when we first told you about the injury he didn’t think it was that bad — he wasn’t even able to localize the pain (he thought it was his knee at first) and he tried to play through it, going half a Spurs game and all of the Jazz game on the broken foot.
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 4
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 26
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50