Dec 20, 2010, 2:08 PM EDT
We tried to warn you something bad was afoot, so to speak, but this was worse news than expected. And very bad news for a Bucks team that finally got Andrew Bogut back and was trying to get back into the playoff chase.
Brandon Jennings will be out four to six weeks when an MRI discovered a fracture in his foot, one that will have to be repaired surgically, the team announced. He has fractured the fifth metatarsal. That is the same bone that caused Toronto’s Reggie Evans to miss games and the Mavericks Roddy Beaubois to miss a lot more. The Journal Sentinel talked to Bucks coach Scott Skiles.
“You think about his age and his frame,” Skiles said. “He’s been incredibly durable. It’s kind of a freak thing. We’ve just got to try to get him right. He’s a young player with a bright future and we’ve got to think long term and let him come back when he’s 100%. And you don’t want to mess around with feet. It’s a tough game to play without healthy feet.”
Jennings is the Bucks leading scorer at 17.9 points per game and had played in 107 consecutive games. He is not a terribly efficient shooter (39 percent) but he sets the table and puts up points. Look for more Keyon Dooling at the point, but it really means that John Salmons has to step up to his former levels and take on a lot more offense.
If you look at what Jennings said when we first told you about the injury he didn’t think it was that bad — he wasn’t even able to localize the pain (he thought it was his knee at first) and he tried to play through it, going half a Spurs game and all of the Jazz game on the broken foot.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4