Dec 19, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
Piston fans are having a bad time of it lately. The team is 8-19, they’ve lost eight of their last ten. There’s rampant discussion that Kuester has lost the team (if he ever had them), and what’s worse, they continue to sit on the sidelines with two trade assets in Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince. What’s worse? They’re GM is kind of, sort of screwing with them.
Pistons blog Piston Powered listened in on a radio interview with Dumars in Detroit, where Dumars gave the impression that he was close to a trade, saying he “hoped” he was close to a deal. In order to hope for being close, you’ve got to at least have options, right? Deductive logic is going to lead you in that direction.
Unfortunately for Joe, a few days later he gave another radio interview. After it was over, the recorder kept rolling, and Dumars kept talking about the trade options. That audio wound up online, where it was later removed, but Piston Powered got a hold of a transcription. Thing is, Joe got a little too honest when he thought he was off-air:
Langlois: Let me ask you some background stuff here. Um, I saw with Matt Dery, you said you were, you had some conversations, is there any players I should be…
Dumars: I talked to Matt after. I said, “Matt, you’ve got everybody asking me like, ‘You’ve got something imminent?’ ” What he asked me, you know, I’m, like, “Yeah, I’m talking, Matt, but you know, but am I close? I don’t know. Teams say, ‘Hey, you know,we kind of like that, you know.’ ”
Langlois: So there’s nothing?
Dumars: No, there’s nothing.
Whoops. Now, Dumars never said he was close, he just insinuated it. Piston Powered is still trying to figure out exactly what he meant. But with a franchise hanging on by a thread in the most economically devastated metropolitan area in the country. Maybe you don’t want to mess with them too much. Then again, giving the impression publicly that he’s talking about trades might help with spurring someone to make a deal. If, you know, GMs listened to local Detroit radio in their copious amounts of free time.
Honestly, this comes down to whether it’s important to be honest with the fans or not, and if fans are capable of front office officials being honest with them. And that’s a whole hornets nest in and of itself.
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 1
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 7
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 16
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)