Dec 19, 2010, 3:42 PM EDT
I’m just saying… we could go ahead and give it to him anyway.
J.R. Smith spoke to FanHouse after that absolute demolition of Gary Neal last week. You know, that dunk that was so bad Neal’s cousin’s realtor felt like he got yammed on? Turns out you shouldn’t expect to see J.R. lacing them up at All-Star weekend:
“Nah, I’m going to let somebody else do that one,” Smith told FanHouse.
So wait a minute. Smith, who has been in two previous NBA dunk contests, would turn down an invitation?
“Yeah, they got a few young guys,” said Smith, a seven-year veteran despite being just 25.
Aw, now that’s a shame.
Smith has been known to do some serious yamming in his time,but it’s good to hear that the NBA is letting the youngsters have a go at it. With Dwight Howard also out, and maybe, possibly, please God let Nate Robinson not return, the NBA might have a crop of interesting kids for the event. That said, resuscitating it will still be a hefty trick considering how cynical we’ve gotten about it.
Like I said, I’d be okay with giving Smith the trophy now and calling it a day.
- Thunder GM says team won’t amnesty Kendrick Perkins 0
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 0
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 35
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 23
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 15
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay