Dec 18, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
NBA VP of basketball operations and official Scrooge Stu Jackson was a busy man Saturday handing out lumps of coal to players and coaches he thought had been naughty.
Rudy Gay has been suspended one game for his body check from behind of Luis Scola in the Grizzlies loss Friday night to the Rockets. The action started on one end of the court with the usual pushing and shoving for a rebound, and when the players moved out Scola and Gay ran into each other and fell down. Gay thought it intentional and chased Scola down the length of the court and body checked the Argentinian hard. Gay was immediately ejected for a flagrant two. You could see this suspension coming.
Gay will sit out Saturday night’s Grizzlies game against the Rockets.
George Karl was fined $25,000 for his comments about the officiating after Manu Ginobili drew a charge on Carmelo Anthony preserving the Spurs win over the Nuggets Thursday. Sorry Karl, still was a charge.
Andre Miller also got a $25,000 for hurling the ball into the stands after the Trail Blazers lost to the Dallas Mavericks Wednesday night.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 23
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49