Dec 18, 2010, 11:07 AM EDT
UPDATE 11:07 am: Ken Berger of CBSSports has thrown an interesting twist in these talks with his latest update — the Suns may be involved as a third team, meaning Hedu Turkoglu could be making a return to Orlando as part of the deal. In this scenario the Magic would be shipping out Marcin Gortat for sure and maybe Vince Carter as well as Rashard Lewis and getting in return both Turkoglu and Arenas.
It’s complex. Complex things fall apart sometimes. But this trade a lot of momentum right now.
10: 15 am: Momentum has picked up significantly in the last 12 hours towards an Orlando Magic trade, specifically one for Gilbert Arenas. When reports surfaced last night that the Magic were 70-80% likely to complete a trade, most assumed it would be Vince Carter along with some other Magic player for Gilbert Arenas and possibly another player. But as things have evolved, it would appear that a different element has come into play.
Magic blog Orlando Pinstriped Post, which reported that the Magic and Wizards were engaged in talks on December 1st, reported Friday night that Rashard Lewis is on the table in trade discussions. The addition of Lewis makes this entire situation more fluid. One, it would mean the Magic would be taking on Gilbert’s huge albatross of a contract, but would be doing so in exchange for their own heavy financial anchor. Lewis is on the books for over $21 million next season in addition to the $19 million he’s being paid this season.
Lewis, once an integral part of the Magic’s three-pronged attack with Dwight Howard and Hedo Turkoglu (also let go for parts unknown, and by parts unknown I mean Toronto and then Phoenix), has slipped significantly over the past two seasons. In short, he’s a power forward who doesn’t rebound, and becoming one who doesn’t score that well either.
If moving for Arenas is considered a gamble, Lewis is limiting their risk to a certain degree. While Arenas’ contract is certainly more limiting should he also be unable to contribute at a meaningful level, removing Lewis’ contract from the books stems that wound’s geyser a bit.
Alex Kennedy of Hoopsworld reports that the Magic may already have a deal finished, and may be looking for a separate deal with Phoenix, Portland, and… the Denver Nuggets. A deal being done is still not confirmed as of this writing, but Yahoo! Sports in their original report last night did indicate that the Magic were pursuing another deal separately.That trade would feature Vince Carter’s expiring contract alongside Marcin Gortat.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31