Dec 18, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
Ken Berger of CBSSports.com reports that the Magic have contacted the Phoenix Suns and are discussing a trade which would return Hedo Turkoglu to Orlando where he had his best years. Multiple reports have the Magic considering sending Vince Carter along with Marcin Gortat in exchange for Turkoglu, and potentially Jason Richardson. These talks are in conjunction with, not instead of the conversations ongoing about Gilbert Arenas with the Washington Wizards, which seem to be getting closer by the hour.
In case it’s not apparent, the Orlando Magic want to remake their team in a big way, and are moving on that initiative now.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that the Magic would rather have Chris Paul or Carmelo Anthony (who wouldn’t?) but “don’t have the pieces” to get a deal done. So they’re moving ahead with this plan.
Jason Richardson would add a whole new dimension to these conversations, but he’s on the back burner for now. Hedo Turkoglu’s involvement in these talks is sure to cause alarm with Orlando. But I would remind them that he had his best years under Stan Van Gundy, including the year before he was let go in free agency. Turkoglu was let go prematurely in the idea that he would fall off a cliff. He did.
But Stan Van Gundy did wonders with him, allowing Turkoglu to run the pick and roll. And if he’s brought in beside Gilbert Arenas, he’ll be fourth option, not second. It could be an outright disaster still, Turkoglu has gone downhill. But it may be worth a shot alongside the addition of Arenas.
There are concerns about both players, but Orlando will only be sending the lifeless corpse of Vince Carter along with the only slightly more alive corpse of Rashard Lewis. This is a low-risk maneuver. You’re sending out bad old players with bad contracts for bad old players with bad contracts (Arenas is still under 30 at least).
The problem? Neither of these moves gets the Magic past the Boston Celtics. That’s the goal, and they won’t reach it. The only move that would would be to acquire Chris Paul, and that won’t be happening. Orlando has to do something, and this is the best they can do most likely.
Desperate times in the sunshine state for sure.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 15
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 44
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 53
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11