Dec 17, 2010, 11:19 AM EDT
Rashard Lewis was always a bit of an overpaid specialist, a stretch four that worked pretty well in the Orlando system but was making way too much money to do it.
But this season, his stats have taken a step backward. His shooting percentage — both overall and from three — have taken a step back by about .30 (from 39.7 percent last season to 36.7 percent this season from three). He is still getting basically the same minutes and the same number of shots, but the quality of them and the accuracy has gone down.
So what to do?
To his credit, Lewis said it’s on him and told the Orlando Sentinel he needs to be more aggressive.
“I don’t blame anybody. You got to look in the mirror sometimes,” he said. “I have to get back to being my old self that got me in this position, got me this contract.”
But in the same article, both coach Stan Van Gundy and Lewis himself don’t freak out at the idea of bringing Lewis off the bench. Which may be a possibility to shake up a Magic team that is 5-5 in its last 10.
Of course, the real problem is not who starts so much as personnel — they need another guy who can create his own shot and shots for others from the wing. Vince Carter and Jameer Nelson are supposed to fill that role, but things have not been ideal.
So move Lewis to the bench or don’t. It’s a shakeup, but maybe not as big of one as the Magic need if they are to compete with Boston and Miami come the playoffs.
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13