Dec 17, 2010, 11:19 AM EDT
Rashard Lewis was always a bit of an overpaid specialist, a stretch four that worked pretty well in the Orlando system but was making way too much money to do it.
But this season, his stats have taken a step backward. His shooting percentage — both overall and from three — have taken a step back by about .30 (from 39.7 percent last season to 36.7 percent this season from three). He is still getting basically the same minutes and the same number of shots, but the quality of them and the accuracy has gone down.
So what to do?
To his credit, Lewis said it’s on him and told the Orlando Sentinel he needs to be more aggressive.
“I don’t blame anybody. You got to look in the mirror sometimes,” he said. “I have to get back to being my old self that got me in this position, got me this contract.”
But in the same article, both coach Stan Van Gundy and Lewis himself don’t freak out at the idea of bringing Lewis off the bench. Which may be a possibility to shake up a Magic team that is 5-5 in its last 10.
Of course, the real problem is not who starts so much as personnel — they need another guy who can create his own shot and shots for others from the wing. Vince Carter and Jameer Nelson are supposed to fill that role, but things have not been ideal.
So move Lewis to the bench or don’t. It’s a shakeup, but maybe not as big of one as the Magic need if they are to compete with Boston and Miami come the playoffs.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31