Dec 17, 2010, 5:46 PM EDT
Tonight, the two biggest free agent acquisitions of the summer face off. While LeBron James’ former teammates in Cleveland haven’t had much to say about him since he left for Miami, Amar’e Stoudemire’s former Suns teammates had plenty of good things to say about the MVP candidate. Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic has the story:
Stoudemire always said his shoulders were built broadly to carry the load and he has delivered with the weight of the Knicks’ turnaround and a demanding city on him. Stoudemire has New York at 16-10 after being 8-17 a year ago Friday. He has done it spectacularly, breaking a 48-year-old Knicks record with an ongoing streak of nine 30-point games. Only LeBron James has done that in the past six NBA seasons.
“All eyes on him,” Suns forward Jared Dudley said. “It’s his show. If the season ended right now, no question he’s the MVP.”
“[Stoudemire’s departure] was not a LeBron James situation,” Gentry said.”We wished him well. He wished us well. He took an ad out in the paper (thanking the Suns and fans). It’s great to see him playing really well. Obviously, we’d like to have him playing here but he chose to go to New York and it’s good to see him having success.”
Everyone with the Suns expected Stoudemire to thrive this season. The full offer that the Knicks presented – out of free-agency desperation once James had passed – trumped that of the Suns, who had concerns over Stoudemire’s history of surgeries on both knees.
A lot of people thought that Stoudemire would struggle in New York without Steve Nash feeding him passes, but that certainly hasn’t been the case. Stoudemire has upped his scoring average without sacrificing efficiency, and the Knicks are relevant again thanks to his contributions. The Knicks were tenths of a second away from beating the Celtics on Wednesday night; we’ll see if Amar’e and co can beat the Heat tonight.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 83
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20